blackghost knife and neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kangarooooooooo

Aquarium Advice Regular
my black ghost knife is about a year and a half old. only 3 inches.
he doesn't pay any attention to the small guppys i got a while ago. and he doesn't pay attention to my new plattys.do u think he'd eat up neons? i know he would eventually when he gets older but right now i don't know. they are about the same size as guppys. what do u think?

I only "lost" a few neons on my tank but I can't blame my 7 ich BGK with 4 grown Angels and a foot long pleco . But none show aggression towards them when the lights are on . I may have had 3-4 missing.

i believe neons can fit in my 7" BGKs mouth, *he's only a few months, are you sure yours 1.5 years?) but i keep him fed and he hasn't bothered them yet.

i should note that in a tank with just snails and shrimp, i ran out of bloodworms for 2 days, and the BGK ate every shrimp, and most of the ramshorn snails

I lost a ramshorn I would believe it was my BGK as it was right after he had a taste of pond snail - seen him eat two a couple of days before the ramshorn shell emptied .

Wow. My BGK is almost 8 inches and less than a year old.

If your tank has heavy plant cover and lots of space, there is a good chance most will survive.

try a few and see what happens, thats really the only way to knwo, I know its sad to have fish eaten just to find out wether or not they can live together in a tank, but its the only way of truely knowing

kansei said:
I lost a ramshorn I would believe it was my BGK as it was right after he had a taste of pond snail - seen him eat two a couple of days before the ramshorn shell emptied .

thanks for confirming that, i doubted myself a bit saying that BGKs eat snails

3 inches and he is a year and half? You must mean he is only a month and a half old... Mine has grown almost 3 inches in a couple of months... I wouldn't worry to much about the neons as long as the BGK is well fed... a couple might get munched on though.

Nik

kansei said:
I watched him picking at a small pond snail on a power head even have a pic , he was only 3-4 inches then.

i think my BGK has your beat, ate most of a full grown mystery snail overnight, no other fish were in the tank...

i had the snail for a good 6 months, and the water stayed at 79, so i can't confirm if he died and the BGK found him, or if the BGK killed him (i had fallen asleep early and missed his dinner)

Back
Top Bottom