Blackwater Leaf Litter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquasplendens

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m working on a blackwater tank currently that will have plants once it’s cycled. My question to you is this. I have a mango tree in my backyard and added the dried leaves (and Loquat leaves) to the tank. I’ve seen a few hints here and there that the mango leaves may not be a good idea as they contain urushiol, the same component in poison ivy that causes an allergic reaction in some and it may be toxic to fish. Does anyone have any good sources? I’ve been digging but haven’t found much. I’d like to use leaves from my yard but if the mango will kill any fish I put in there I definitely won’t!
Thanks in advance!IMG_7980.jpg

No specific info, but just take them out with gloves maybe and do a few water changes.

Often times things change after they are dried, or what have you, but being safe rather than sorry seems more prudent.

In nature all kinds of leaves and botanicals fall into the water ones that may be poison and mildly toxic, etc. and frequently there is a continuous source of water like a stream or rain which aids in dilution. And in a larger open area (not a fish tank which is closed) there are more variables at work than inside of our tanks.

Also there can be advantages for letting the leaves dry before adding them. Sometimes the green leaves will mold/fungus in a bigger way than if the leaves are dry first.

Green /growing leaves have more sugars in them, if I recall / in Fall they loose viability as the tree starts to pull back sugars and nutrients to the main part of the tree to prepare for winter.

Then they fall off the tree. If you have Mangos then you have a more temperate climate and many trees keep leaves year round.

Growing your own leaves is a great idea. You can select many types to beautify your yard AND make your shrimp and fish happy.

Back
Top Bottom