blue Gourami Compatibility..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

still

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive a 22gal. tank cycled with the following population:
5 male guppies
4 zebra danios
1 small pepper catfish
1 common pleco

iwas thinking of adding 1 or 2 small or mid. size blue gourami to the setup
but not sure about the compatibility..
if not just suggest any other type of gouramis or cichlids in general which
is compatible..

thanks alot.

I think the gouramis will be compatible with the fish you have but, I think your already pushing the limit for a 22 gal tank. That common pleco is gonna get 12" if you choose to keep it that long. If you do decide to get the gourami anyway, I would only get one. A blue gourami needs no less than a 20 gal tank. That's for one. Adding two to your tank is gonna be to much, especially with your other fish.

Just gotta make sure you get a M/F. Two males will fight. Might be ok with two females.

I had 2 males in a mixed 50 gal. They did not get along. I gave one away, then found a female. It is hard to tell male from female till they are older. With your tank size, how about a pair of dwarfs. It is easy to tell the females so you can pick a pair.

I have a blue gourami (three spot) in my 38 gallon aquarium! I have found him to be extremely territorial, although once the other fish learned he was the boss, things calmed way down.

After about 6 months of him in my tank, he is actually quite a peaceful and personable fish. He always "follows me around" when I am moving around in the room, and if I put my face up to the aquarium, he will come right up to my face and swim back and forth.

At first when I put him in, he spent the first week establishing dominance. He would chase my swordtails around, ESPECIALLY when I put food in. Now, however, he only chases them for about 5 minutes a day right after feeding. He has never bothered my oto's, pleco, or yo yo loaches.

I personally think blue gouramis are wonderful, but don't forget that gouramis, and especially male gouramis are extremely territorial. 2 males in a 22 gallon tank won't work, in my opinion, even with hiding places. My gourami is all by himself (no other gouramis), and I think he likes it that way. He is a beautiful blue color with black edged greenish blue fins. He spends the majority of his day cruising the tank and building bubble nests that range ALL over the edges of my tank.

Paul

heey guys, ibought 2 gold gouramis, amale and female.. as iknow they're just avariation of the blue or three spot gourami, and as ichecked thier profiles theres no such adiff. bet. em and the blue gourami..

iacclimated em, they're doing fine uptill now.. getting scared sometimes from me when iapproach the tank, but its getting ok bytime and thats normal iguess..
no real issues till now, they just sometimes follow and chase each other and iguess thats a normal behaviour for gouramis... till now ididnt find aprob. with the other fishs,
but sometimes the guppies,zebras and the catfish get alittle scared from em when they get near,, thats all..

hope it gonna work for them.
so what do u think guys?

I think once they establish their territory in the tank, everyone will settle down. Good luck with your new fish.

Fluff said:
I think once they establish their territory in the tank, everyone will settle down. Good luck with your new fish.

well, is it amust that each one of them to have a territory??
and after having one they would just be less active than now, imean they
wouldnt cruising and chasing that much?

They should still cruise the tank. They will swim around the chosen area keeping the other fish away. They will be visible. He will chase her alot trying to keep her within the territory. I'm no gourami expert, this is just what I remember from having them. With the other fish you have, they have no reason to be shy and hide. I have a feeling before long they will be dominating your tank. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom