Bolivian Ram Not Doing Much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Bolivian Ram is staying under filter and but he is coming out is he just using it as a cave or home

3 days i've had him and the tank is cycled and been running for about 3 months

He's probably just being shy. Many fish do this when their environment changes. Give him time to settle in to his new home and routine. :)

Yea I have a bolivian ram and he always just chills in certain caves except when i feed then he comes out. But he is usually in view, I would wait a couple weeks until he seems good, if he is still back there you can try rearranging so you have some nice caves facing the front of ur tank

What other fish do you have?

I recently got 2 and they are constantly out and about, headbutting for terittory, chasing the tetra's even though they will never catch them.

Having smaller fish in the tank makes them feel more secure. Gives the impression that theres no predators around.

But give the guy a few more days. Some fish take weeks or even months to get use to a tank and the surroundings.

I Have 5 Guppies, 5 Neon Tetras, 2 Cory Cats, Leopard Pleco, 2 Zebra Danios and 1 Dwarf Cherry Shrimp

I dont see him eat the flakes i put in because he is so slow and wont go to the top of the tank so instead of crunching up flakes do you think i should put them in whole

He wont go to the top. They prefer to stay at the bottom, maybe bottom half.

Is he picking in the gravel? Then he will get any flakes that falls to the bottom. Otherwise you can get fine chichlid pellets that will sink to the bottom.

Try the shrimp pellets. I had a bottom dwelling ram too and she loved those.

epiphysis said:
What other fish do you have?

I recently got 2 and they are constantly out and about, headbutting for terittory, chasing the tetra's even though they will never catch them.

Having smaller fish in the tank makes them feel more secure. Gives the impression that theres no predators around.

But give the guy a few more days. Some fish take weeks or even months to get use to a tank and the surroundings.

Agreed, I have two and they took at least a week before they became confident and now they police the front of tank always in view, give him time he should come round.

Try the shrimp pellets. I had a bottom dwelling ram too and she loved those.

yup, i use shrimp pellets too, any type of pellets or little balls work. I've only seen mine go about 10" from the bottom during feeding time.

Back
Top Bottom