Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking about these for my 29 gallon and would like as much info as possible. I am at a cross between having a pair of angels, or bolivian rams. I have settled on cory cats (possibly panda) and a bristlenose pleco for bottom feeders. What other tank mates are suitable for bolivian rams? Do they dwell near the bottom like german blue rams? And if I should decide to set up my 55 gallon in the future, would bolivian rams and angelfish be compatible?
Thanks in advance.
Ashley:fish2:

Well i think you'd need a 40gallon for a pair of angels but bolvian rams would be fine... Also some other fish you could do a school of tetras

I was thinking about angels, because I like them so much. But I have been researching the bolivian rams and think they would be much more suitable for this smaller tank. I think I will wait to do angels until I have room to set up my 55 gallon. I was just wondering if they were compatible, because if we move in to a place big enough to set up my 55 gallon, I would convert my 29 to a corn snake viv/terrarium and move fish and filters to the 55. I always like to think ahead, especially since we are currently looking for a bigger place. BUT I don't want to wait until we find a place to start up a tank, which is why I am starting the 29 gallon now. Does that make sense?

I was thinking about angels, because I like them so much. But I have been researching the bolivian rams and think they would be much more suitable for this smaller tank. I think I will wait to do angels until I have room to set up my 55 gallon. I was just wondering if they were compatible, because if we move in to a place big enough to set up my 55 gallon, I would convert my 29 to a corn snake viv/terrarium and move fish and filters to the 55. I always like to think ahead, especially since we are currently looking for a bigger place. BUT I don't want to wait until we find a place to start up a tank, which is why I am starting the 29 gallon now. Does that make sense?
Good idea to wait with the angels. A 55 gallon is cetainly enough for a pair and Bolivians plus other fish. I keep those psecies together in a 40 gallon.
So about Bolivians, they do inded stay on the bottom like gbr go. Mine like to eat sinking shrimp pellets the most. In a 29 gallon, you could keep a pair, but I wouldn't keep anymore than that. You can alwasy get more once you get the 55! A male/female combo is good, but its fine if you get 2 of the same gender. They are very peaceful and more hardy than other rams species, but still a little sensitive to nitrates, so watch the water params closely. If they do pair up, they may chase the corys, but nothing serious.:)

Back
Top Bottom