Bottled bacteria study

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just reading this and am curious what others may find to comment upon ...

http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/FINAL_QUICK_START_Science_Sheet.pdf

I find it interesting the filters had no filter media.

Also, on the product page it says "patented" nitrifying bacteria. I thought bacteria can't be patented unless they've been modified somehow, or aren't the ones freely floating in the air ... So maybe this is what people mean by some bottled bacteria having the "wrong" bacteria? It does say the bacteria itself is patented, not the product. (Compare to their patent application on using aloe in stress coat for specific purposes ... They're patenting the use not the aloe).

Could be wrong about all that, it was just a curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

That is pretty interesting that they patented the bacteria itself. Personally I enjoy cycling my own tanks so I don't use the bottles. Actually.. I have used it once. Not sure if it worked because it was my first tank and didn't test the water. Just used it and tossed in la fish. Seemed like it worked, not sure.

I am not a fan of any of the products that use heterotrophic bacteria. I believe both Seachem Stability and API Quick Start both use heterotrophic bacteria. There are probably others. Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tims One and Only both use Autotrophic bacteria which is the type that develops naturally. Both of these products are derived from BioSpira which was a refrigerated product from Marineland Labs. It is no longer produced.

If I was going to use a product I would use one of those based on the autotrophic bacteria. I have actually tried all three. My experiences were that Biospira worked every time except once, the Tetra product did not work and Dr Tims did work. I suspect the differences were caused by product handling but I would need a much larger sampling to be confident of that.

Dr. Tim's bacteria worked well for me. I also like that he sells ammonium chloride solution. That stuff is a lot easier to work with than janitor-strength ammonia.

I imagine that the API bacteria are genetically modified, which would explain the company's ability to patent them.

I put a bottle of SafeStart into my 45 gallon when I started it 6ish weeks ago and have had stable water parameters the whole time. It's still only lightly stocked and fairly heavily planted though, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

I am not a fan of any of the products that use heterotrophic bacteria. I believe both Seachem Stability and API Quick Start both use heterotrophic bacteria. There are probably others. Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tims One and Only both use Autotrophic bacteria which is the type that develops naturally. Both of these products are derived from BioSpira which was a refrigerated product from Marineland Labs. It is no longer produced.

If I was going to use a product I would use one of those based on the autotrophic bacteria. I have actually tried all three. My experiences were that Biospira worked every time except once, the Tetra product did not work and Dr Tims did work. I suspect the differences were caused by product handling but I would need a much larger sampling to be confident of that.

It's been over 15 years since I got a C in biology ... What is heterotrophic vs autotrophic bacteria? (I'd google it but I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering).

Considering the enormous struggles the nutritional supplement industry faces, bringing probiotics for people to market, I'd presume you're completely correct about the handling of the bacteria being a deciding factor. Dr Tims may have a higher success rate given the distribution method is more simple than shipping to big box stores. Even basic vitamins for people are frequently rancid (in the case of oils) or otherwise damaged by the time they are purchased. One wouldn't suppose bacteria for fish that cost less than $10 a bottle would be the place where such things have perfect stability.

This last week I saw tiny packets of gravel meant for betta bowls, that claim to start the cycle. No further info on the labels as to what's in there.

I used Safestart after growing impatient with a fishless cycle. I had stable water parameters 48 hours after dosing.

Take a look at this link. It is a reasonable, if biased, explanation of the differences in the aquarium.

That's really interesting. And answers why the bacteria supplements are always bottled in wet solutions (I kept wondering why they don't do capsules like for human probiotics).

Some people here have mentioned slow dissolving balls of bacteria supplements recently ... This article suggests I think that these wouldn't work since nitrifying bacteria can't survive drying out.

Some people here have mentioned slow dissolving balls of bacteria supplements recently ... This article suggests I think that these wouldn't work since nitrifying bacteria can't survive drying out.
I have no idea if they work or not but I think they are actually some kind of gel in a ball shape.

These maybe ...
http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/PURE_Aquarium.html

The aquarium companies have really caught on to the possibility of making one more thing for people to buy. And changing the delivery method is marketable and patentable ...

It'd be cool if they did work. But like the rest of bacteria for sale a lot may depend on temperature during shipping and stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom