Bottom feeders for an 80 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
In this tank are
2 angels
15 rummynose
15 cardinals
15 glowlight danios
10 serpae
2 Bolivian rams
2 farlowella
1 apple snail
Lots of plants caves and driftwood
2 fluval 405's
13 watt uv

So I understand I am pushing it with stocking but lots of hiding spaces and trates under 10

Angels claimed the top
Cardinals danios and rummys mid
Rams and serpae bottom
No aggression what so ever this is one happy community

Any room for bottom feeders and if so types cause I never had any so I am not familiar with them at all

Thanks in advance

you are considerably well stocked. If you want to consider cutting back on one of your schools you might consider adding a group lf loaches. I eally like loaches as well, and you have a decent size tank for them. I absolutely LOVE pleco's, there are a lot of breeds out there you could start researching. Rubber lip, bristlenose, clowns, but clowns will eat plants and need lots of wood to chew on.

With your current bioload you have to be very careful and keep a close eye on water parameters if you add more, but you probably already know that. If you don't want to cut back on what you have, I think a few pleco's and a school of cory cats would be a good addition to the community. I think you would have to consider cutting back on something if you want to add loaches because most of them get to be a decent size and need space to move around.

Just some things I would do :) good luck!

Last edited:
If you're looking for something unique and challenging-

To my knowledge hummingbird tetras stay at the way way bottom of a tank. Best to do some beforehand research though.

Yeah that's why I am thinking something small like cories but I don't want something with a big bio load I had a sal fin pleco and he was nasty dirty I just want something that will eat the odd scraps that make it to the bottom

Perametrs are fine right now Max of 10 nitrates just before a pwc so it easily converts the load just looking for some ideas I will worry about space and aggression myself thanks for the info so far

Just post some names of small bottom feeders and I can do some research

Pitbull pleco. Unlike most plecos they stay small (around 2 inches) therefor they have a smaller bio load and they prefer to be in groups of 3 or more. If you have at least 2 they will be active and fun to watch. Planetcatfish.com did a nice article on them in there catfish of the month series you should check it out

Yeah that's why I am thinking something small like cories but I don't want something with a big bio load I had a sal fin pleco and he was nasty dirty I just want something that will eat the odd scraps that make it to the bottom

Perametrs are fine right now Max of 10 nitrates just before a pwc so it easily converts the load just looking for some ideas I will worry about space and aggression myself thanks for the info so far

Just post some names of small bottom feeders and I can do some research

I love common and sailfin pleco's, but they do need a lot of space and they are messy! Feed them some zuchini and they are happy munchers, lol. But as it has been stated, other breeds do stay small and have smaller bio loads. I am partial to the bristlenose, and I have one that should arrive tomorrow from a member on this forum :) (I am super excited!).

I think cories would do a great job at the bottom with your community and they are a lot of fun to watch too. Let us know what you choose!

I would do Cory's or Kuhli Loaches. The more common Kuhli Loach (with the brown and black bands) get to like 4" max. While the Java Kuhli Loach (aka: Black Kuhli) stay a bit smaller. These guys are entertaining to watch. I have the Black Kuhli and he's very active in cleaning out the bottom of my tank of uneaten food.

Will do just waiting for more replies as I am looking more for something to pick up left over food not so much algae but I will do some research on what has been listed

Brian_Nano12g said:
I would do Cory's or Kuhli Loaches. The more common Kuhli Loach (with the brown and black bands) get to like 4" max. While the Java Kuhli Loach (aka: Black Kuhli) stay a bit smaller. These guys are entertaining to watch. I have the Black Kuhli and he's very active in cleaning out the bottom of my tank of uneaten food.

Great suggestion my lfs has kuhli loaches to awesome

I prefer kubotai botias rather than yoyo's. A little smaller max size, much better-looking, and not likely to hassle other fish like yoyo's sometimes do.
Alternatively, a group of Synodontis petricola or lucipinnis would also work. They're a smaller social species, most often kept with African cichlids but quite adaptable to different water conditions.

The better looking part is just an opinion and I don't think the yoyos would pick on anything in his tank. And considering they are generally less than half the price i prefer the yoyos

Back
Top Bottom