Brand new 29 gal! Stocking help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my little bro a 29 gallon and some coffee colored rocks with an aquaclear 50 filter. We still have to get the lid and lights. Also decor and a heater. Any opinions on a lid or lights? And how about stocking tips?
Any advice on the fishless cycle we are doing? Going buy pure ammonia tomorrow. Here's the tank

Attachments

• image-1861961340.jpg
    image-1861961340.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3464985545.jpg
    image-3464985545.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 61
I just got my little bro a 29 gallon and some coffee colored rocks with an aquaclear 50 filter. We still have to get the lid and lights. Also decor and a heater. Any opinions on a lid or lights? And how about stocking tips?
Any advice on the fishless cycle we are doing? Going buy pure ammonia tomorrow. Here's the tank
Hello,
That's a great gift! For the lids and light, you would need to check the dimensions for it.
Decor is found at almost any pet store but is over priced. You could use pvc or terracota pots witch make great caves. As for the heater, try getting a submersible one. I couldn't recommend a company in specific though. Usually, submersible ones limit corrosion or help greatly reduce it in very humid areas compared to non-submersible hearers.As for stocking, you could get a nice variety of cichlids, goldfish, small live bearers, shrimp, cories ect... it depends on the characteristics you're looking for:). A tip would be not to put too much ammonia:# sounds stupid but a lot of people do it and it doesn't help the bacteria grow any faster but can just overwhelm it before it can even start growing.

Good Luck!:)

Thanks! Might do cichlids. My tap water is a high pH. How much pure ammonia am I supposed to put for 29 g?

Thanks! Might do cichlids. My tap water is a high pH. How much pure ammonia am I supposed to put for 29 g?
How high is you're pH? Anything under 8.2 should be fine for a lot of fish as they are commonly tank bred now a days. Not sure for the ammonia, you can check in the fish less cycle method link in my signature. Make sure to buy 100 percent pure ammonia. It can be tricky to find.

I think most people dose ammonia up to 4ppm when fish less cycling. You'll need a good liquid test kit to monitor the water parameters if you don't have one already. They cost more upfront but last longer and are generally more accurate. For a 29 gallon you have plenty of options as far as stock goes. Check out liveaquaria.com and search their fish profiles to see what can go in your tank and what you or your brother like, once you have a list of fish you think are good ask in this thread what people think about it and also go to aqadvisor.com and put your stock in there, its a good starting point and can help you figure out your stocking level, water change schedule, and tank mate comparability.

I'll definitely do that. Do you know about how much ammonia to put in there to get it to 4 ppm? I have the master test kit. And I use prime water conditioner

Back
Top Bottom