Brand new 60l fish tank cloudy and high Kh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeviD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello , I Set up a brand new 60l aquarium 2 days ago , added gravel tap water and tap water safe and filter because it was very cloudy as soon as i added water. I haven't added No fish and not planning to do so until the cloudy water has gone. Its Still cloudy after 2 days lots of small air bubbles too. i did a test today with a test strip and everything else is fine but the Kh is the highest on the color chart. Can someone tell me why its cloudy and how to make it go away and also how to lower the Kh. Because the cloudy water is really bothering me now. Thankyou

Did you rinse your gravel first? It may go away in time. In the meantime, though, several suggestions that may help you.

-1) have you heard of fishless cycling? Cycling is very important and I would recommend researching it and doing a complete cycle before adding fish

-2) test strips are quite inaccurate; if you'd really like to know what's going on with your water, I would invest in an API master liquid test kit!

Thanks for replying , Yes i washed the gravel but i didn't wash it enough i think because as soon as it put the water in i was extremely cloudy but that settled over night and i have been left with a little cloudy milk color. And i will buy a liquid testing kit thanks for that advice. Yes i have heard of the fishless cycle but could you please tell me more about it. its now day 3 and still milky. i noticed a little bit of algae has started growing inside my filter so i am guessing thats a good thing.

You could be having a bacterial bloom; in which case it will go away on its own... in any case, while you wait for it to clear up you can start your fishless cycle! Just go to the articles section, and you should see under most popular articles one called "your fastest fishless cycle" which will tell you everything you need to know! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom