Breeding betta in bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
is it ok to put a male and female betta in a 2 gallon fish bowl without a filter?

will they breed? or do they need a larger tank

I think the male will kill the female, especially in that small a space. 2gal is just enough space for one betta. I've never bred bettas, but I think even in larger tanks they need to be separated or watched closely.

EDIT: No fish should be without a filter

--Adeeb

so how do they breed if they cant be together?

A limited amount of time is how. I bred bettas years ago. Putting them together in a small bowl isn't going to work. Your best bet, if you absolutely feel you have to have them together is to get a 10g, plant it heavily, add some drift wood and caves so the female can hide. Even then it's questionable.

They are carefully conditioned and placed together only right before they spawn. A quick google of "betta breeding" offers a plethora of information.

VERY abbreviated form of betta breeding:

• male and female in separate tanks
  • male tank should be larger, preferably with live plants including some floating plants
  • female's tank should be placed next to the male tank, where the two fish can see each other. They should be like this for at least a few days, so the two fish can get used to each other.
  • both should be fed well, ideally with a variety of live foods like live bloodworms, blackworms, glassworms, brine shrimp, etc. This helps to condition both for breeding and helps the female to produce eggs
  • if the male is interested in the female, he will build a bubble nest on the surface of the water in his tank
  • if the female is loaded with eggs and the male has built a bubble nest, you introduce the female to the male's tank. They may or may not breed; if they do, you remove the female immediately after they have bred or else the male will kill her
  • if the male hasn't built a bubble nest and yet you introduce the female, it is again likely the male will kill her
Some details are left out but that is the general pattern. You can keep them in the same tank all the time if it is a really large tank and well-planted. (Really large here means probably a 55 gallon or greater). In a big tank like that the female can get far enough away and hide from the male when he is overly aggressive. In a 2 gal bowl? She wouldn't have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom