Breeding rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SFAquariums1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, this thread actually has 2 questions. I cannot seem to post in any other thread but this one via the app. Any suggestions? Now on to the actual question!

I am going to be building a breeding rack to breed mostly live bearers but also some killifish I have not done much calculations with actual tank size. However here is what I am thinking (all tanks will go into rack sideways to make more efficient space.)

Bottom shelf:
5- 20 gallon tanks
Above that:
As many 10 gallons as I can fit (6?)
Above that:
Another row of 10 gallons.
Above that:
Row of 5 gallons for fry
And the top row:
2.5 gallons for the eggs to hatch in for the egg laying fish I will breed.

With that being said would it be better to make each shelf slightly higher and do a "flap" type system allowing enough room to access top of tanks. Or possible push each shelf

Push each shelf back about 5 inches to access tank? Sorry for the double post

On the app, push the back arrow in the upper left corner to go back to the list of discussion threads. Then you can choose whichever one you want to post in.
To make a new post, touch the "..." In the top right corner.

10' ceilings. First row is only 1 foot off the ground going to be 82" total.

Yes and 20 gallon regulars are 16". Sorry it's going to end up right around 70" tall. Are you telling me that's not true? Or

You can't. That's why the bottom shelf is going to be 19" tall. To fit the 16" tank. There will be a 12" gap between the floor and the bottom of that 1st shelf. I guess I don't see what you mean here?

My tanks have 6" clearance but you have to add 4" because of the 2x4's.
So 1 shelf every 10 inches. So lets say I want a self of 10 gallons tanks 12" for the height, and 10" for the 6"gap, and 4" 2x4. Make sense?

Yes I'm only doing a 4" gap and I only need 2" for the 2x4. So my gap will be 6" total. I'm also staggering them so the 2nd shelf will be pushed back 3". Does that make sense?

Yes except not as drastic. Will be framin it all in with a small wood door on the side for all plumbing etc.

Yes I'm only doing a 4" gap and I only need 2" for the 2x4. So my gap will be 6" total. I'm also staggering them so the 2nd shelf will be pushed back 3". Does that make sense?

4" is REALLY TIGHT 6" for me is tight too. I would really make it 6". Nothing worse then not being able to get your hands were you want them lol...

I agree. But since I'm doing the staircase style. There's 3" of each tank that has nothing over it. Plus that 4" height. Wouldn't you think that would help? I'm not going to have to go in at 90 degrees with my arm. Or am I imagining things?

It may work... Maybe build the fist shelf with 4" that way and then decide if you want more space, and then you can build the rest of them the way you want. Make sense?

That's a good idea. Even if I add the extra inches on the rest if the shelfs it will still look proportional!

Back
Top Bottom