brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsyqueen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how big do adults get, and would they live in a community tank?
Or would you have to have brackish water?

Brine Shrimp? Adults get to maybe 1/8". They are food, nothing more, and can only live for more than a few hours in heavily salted water.

If you intended to ask about Ghost Shrimp, which is what I actually suspect, adults get to around 1", females possibly as large as 1.5". They do not need brackish water, they are a true freshwater shrimp, and usually do great in a community tank. They are harmless to the fish, so the only real issue is whether or not the fish pick on them. If they are getting picked on constantly they will eventually just hide and only come out at night, otherwise they will be out all the time and they are fascinating to watch.

I just bought four ghost shrimp for my new fiver. as well as what was supposed to only be five feeder guppies, but the guy was a moron and couldn't count, so I got six instead. He also dropped my bag of fish. I wanted to scream! They are all miraculously healthy though. I like my ghosties!

Ya, ghost shrimp are fun. If you ever get a chance, grab a couple cherry shrimp. They are about the same size as the ghost shrimps only bright red. They are more expensive (around here they cost $5 each, while ghost shrimp I can get for $1 a dozen), but they are very striking.

I had brine shrimp when I was ten. I got them in a sea monkey kit. they hatched from instant eggs after half a day. Then they grew to become adults, and then they breeded. i had baby brine shrimp but then the movers when moving houses tried to move the brine shrimp container without any care or consideration and they all died.

Back
Top Bottom