Brine shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do have a heater. Right now the water is very warm 86 I didn't touch the heater temp at all. I did turn it down. I'm hoping for a 24 hour hatch. Also I think I need a larger bottle.

Yeah, small hatcheries are tough because you really need to have a good reliable heater and those cost a lot of money which seems crazy to use on hatching brine shrimp eggs. :blink: :whistle: You need make such small adjustments when you need to make adjustments. :facepalm: I use Supreme brand heaters because back in the 1980s when I first bought them, they were top of the line heaters I used in my hatchery. They have a flaw that they need maintenance on the contact points but I had 400 of them at that time so I kept about 30 of them of different sizes for my personal use. Now, I heat or cool the room instead of each tank individually.
The good news is that you can hatch brine shrimp eggs in anything so using a larger bottle or jar or whatever makes things easier. If you end up hatching a lot of eggs, there are cheaper salts you can buy instead of API. I was buying this: https://www.ruralking.com/diamond-crystal-40-lb-solar-naturals-salt-crystals-for-water-softeners for $6.00. It lasts. (y)

hatch

Hi Andy. Well, one hatch that's it. Maybe by bottle is too small. 2 liter maybe I should Have a larger bottle.

My hatchery

It's not down far enough in the water for the water to regulate the temperature. 1/2 of the bottle at least should be underwater. (y)

I also don't see the amount of aeration. You need to have it strong enough for the eggs to remain in motion the whole time they are preparing to hatch. I sometimes have to adjust my airstones so that they are in a corner or at an angle so that the water moves in a circular motion upwards.

Yes, vigorous air. Crank it up to where it is just short of bubbling over the top. Generally if you think it is high enough, crank it a little higher.

have more airiation in the bottle. This has been going for 20 hours. No shrimp. maybe 36 or 48.

Post a video of the hatchery in action please. Also, what's the temp?

Also, did you get the eggs in a package that says Brine Shrimp Direct on it or was it just a repackaged bag from the shipper's shrimp eggs?

I believe the Brine shrimp eggs I have are bad. I should have some hatch. From pack of eggs I have not one hatched. But I'll try again this time with distilled water

I believe the Brine shrimp eggs I have are bad. I should have some hatch. From pack of eggs I have not one hatched. But I'll try again

That's always possible but just so you know, I kept an opened can of OSI ( great salt lake shrimp, same as Brine Shrimp Direct sources) brine shrimp eggs in my freezer for over 30 years and when I tried to hatch them again, I got about 75-80% hatch vs the 95% when the can was fresh. Brine Shrimp eggs, when stored in the cold, can survive from 50 to reportedly 100 years. I would try to get some more eggs from a local store and see if you have the same success/ failure. By getting them local, you'll be able to see where they came from and any expiration date they may have. (y)

The store I would buy them from is a REAL tropical fish store. They quarantine all fish before releasing to sell tanks. They feed brine shrimp as well as quality flake. The owner knows fish both salt and fresh. A Mom and Pop store in Chicago

The store I would buy them from is a REAL tropical fish store. They quarantine all fish before releasing to sell tanks. They feed brine shrimp as well as quality flake. The owner knows fish both salt and fresh. A Mom and Pop store in Chicago

Why not give them some of your eggs and see if they can hatch them? (y)

Back
Top Bottom