brown algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm finding brown spots on the inside of my tank and on some decor. Not a huge problem, but what can be done? I'm assuming it's brown algae. I've cleaned it off the glass but it slowly grows back. Snails maybe?

Brown Algae

Good morning Rey...

All healthy tanks have algae. Whether or not it's visible depends on tank conditions. You may just have too many nutrients in the tank and not enough plants to use it.

When I had algae issues, I started replacing at least half the tank water every week. During the water changes, when the water level was low, I'd plant or float stem plants. Water sprite, Water wisteria and Pennywort are some very fast growing stems that will use up the extra nutrients and the algae will start to shrink.

I have a lot of snails in my tanks too and they're great algae eaters.

Don't resort to using "gluteraldehyde" chemicals to kill the algae. It does a very good job, but the dead plant material floating in the tank, will just create more food for the next algae bloom. I used it years ago and some of my Vallisneria, ferns and mosses were damaged.

The key to algae control is to shrink it, not kill it.

B

I'm finding brown spots on the inside of my tank and on some decor. Not a huge problem, but what can be done? I'm assuming it's brown algae. I've cleaned it off the glass but it slowly grows back. Snails maybe?

BA results from excess silicas in water which new tanks tend to have a lot of.
In some cases it just goes away on it's own as the silica is used up by the diatoms.

However, if your PWC is from groundwater ... it may contain silica and your BA may never completely go away. I've had starting from one month after my tank was set up and no sign of it going away. Switching to RO water is an option, but deprives your water of necessary nutrients / minerals.

Aside from wiping it off ... Otto's are well know for devouring BA. It's usually not recommended to get a fish just to solve an algae outbreak ... but if after a few months BA doesn't just go away and grows, then you could consider Otto's.

99% of the information you're recieving in this thread is spot on. I do have one minor correction however. Diatoms are not a brown algae. Brown algaes, phylum phaephyta, are all multicellulare and marine (i.e. sea weed). Diatoms, phylum bacillariaphyta, are single-celled, occur in both salt and freshwater environments, and have cell walls composed of silica (hence why high silica levels in the water cause this particular algae to bloom). Until recently, diatoms where correctly referred to as golden-brown algae. For what its worth.

Yeah, like I said, it's not over taking the tank or anything. I think planting the tank would be a really good idea. There are several benefits to it according to what I've read. I also tend to get high nitrate readings on occasion, so I do weekly water changes to keep those in check. My last test round I did yesterday was great, but adding plants would keep the nitrate levels down in between pwc's wouldn't it? Oh btw, I really don't think I want snails, I just figured if BA was going to exist, why not include something that could enjoy it:). Thanks for the responses guys.

99% of the information you're recieving in this thread is spot on. I do have one minor correction however. Diatoms are not a brown algae. Brown algaes, phylum phaephyta, are all multicellulare and marine (i.e. sea weed). Diatoms, phylum bacillariaphyta, are single-celled, occur in both salt and freshwater environments, and have cell walls composed of silica (hence why high silica levels in the water cause this particular algae to bloom). Until recently, diatoms where correctly referred to as golden-brown algae. For what its worth.

Correct! ... The "BA" we experience are from Diatoms that use silica to form their walls and not algae like sea-weed. But I doubt we'll (collectively as a group) stop referring to diatoms as "brown algae" anytime soon.:D

Correct! ... The "BA" we experience are from Diatoms that use silica to form their walls and not algae like sea-weed. But I doubt we'll (collectively as a group) stop referring to diatoms as "brown algae" anytime soon.:D

Probably not, but its always good just to make sure people do understand that they are not a true brown algae ;).

Nerd

Out of curiosity, is this a new tank? New substrates will leech silicates for several weeks/month, causing brown algae. It's just part of a new tank establishing itself.

Nerd

lol

Out of curiosity, is this a new tank? New substrates will leech silicates for several weeks/month, causing brown algae. It's just part of a new tank establishing itself.

The tank was cycled around the middle of August, so it's not very old. Could that be the issue?

Reygan2 said:
The tank was cycled around the middle of August, so it's not very old. Could that be the issue?

At this point the tank's 3 months old ... I would think most of the silicates in the substrate would be used up by now... But it is still a possibility.

It depends on that the substrate, the water chemistry, etc, but this should be the tail end of it if thats what's causing it.

Back
Top Bottom