Brown Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelllll

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey so I've noticed a lot of what I believe is brown algae growing all over my tank lately. This is the first time I've ever seen this and am wondering if it's bad for the fish at all? I don't mind how it looks in certain parts.. The tank is sitting right in front of my window and I've heard that's not good so I'm working on getting better blinds to reduce sunlight. I just did a test on my water and it looks like the Hardness is high and it says on the bottle that that could cause algae. So how would I lower hardness?? I attached a picture of the test and part of the tank to see if you could confirm that it is indeed brown algae. It's not very clear but it's on the top leaves of the fake plants and on the top of the rock and on the back glass and a little on the heater. Any help or advice on how to deal with this would be appreciated :) thanks.

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 59
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 57
I'd say your fine. Could be diatoms which is completely normal. After awhile all my rocks turned brown which I like cause there not so white now.

They don't stand out now and kinda blend in.

I'd say your fine. Could be diatoms which is completely normal. After awhile all my rocks turned brown which I like cause there not so white now.

They don't stand out now and kinda blend in.

Hm alright cool thanks. If I want to get rid of it from the wall can I just use a new toothbrush or something like that? same with the plants too maybe?

Hm alright cool thanks. If I want to get rid of it from the wall can I just use a new toothbrush or something like that? same with the plants too maybe?

Yeah you can wipe it off or whatever. Chances are it will come back though.

Back
Top Bottom