Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a friend that asked me a question about brown algae. He has a 75 gal Discus tank. He keeps it slightly acidic. The lights stay on about 8 hrs a day , but the tank also gets some sunlight. What causes brown algae and what can be done to correct problem? I don't know every detail of the tank. He uses a canister filter, but I don't know what is put in filter. I just need general things to look for to help him get rid of the algae. Thanks!

What causes brown algae and what can be done to correct problem?
Not sunlight! Since that algae, diatoms really, does not use sunlight (no chloroplasts).
Excess nutrients are in the water. He can remedy the situation by more frequent PWCs :D

He does about 20% water changes once a week. Where the tank is located the only way he can make water changes is with a bucket. He is too far away from a sink to use a python. Thanks for the advice.

I use a python. I have the attatchment to vacuum the gravel. It just makes it easier to do. If I didn't have it, then I don't know if I would want to do all that work doing water changes.

The brown stuff is coating my vinyl hoses, even in places that get no light. I feed sparingly. I will increase my water changes now that the tank has established a biofilter. I was worried that something in the tap water could make the brown stuff grow faster. I could water change daily if need be, as long as the tap water wouldn't make it worse. The display tank has only light amounts of it, but the clear vinyl tubing won't be clear too much longer. So reassure me, more water changes will slow this down?

Back
Top Bottom