Brown Alge In my Brackish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
My SG is 1.014 get really bad brown alge on the glass on on the substate weekly i have to do big water changes every week to get rid of it all. I have a GSP and a scorpion Fish. Feed My puffer krill but remove uneated food daily any suggestions?
0 ammonia
0 nitrate

lights on 8am to 10 pm no timer

should i get a timer and reduce time light is on
Jeff

Brown algae is not dependant on ligth (no chloroplast). My BW tank gets some algae, but I just wipe it off the tank monthly. Switch to twice a week PWC of 25% and feed your fish every other day. All my fish eat every other day--it's fine for fish. After a month or so, you should see some improvement.
Do you vacuum the substrate when you do the water changes?

Menagerie said:
Brown algae is not dependant on ligth (no chloroplast). My BW tank gets some algae, but I just wipe it off the tank monthly. Switch to twice a week PWC of 25% and feed your fish every other day. All my fish eat every other day--it's fine for fish. After a month or so, you should see some improvement.
Do you vacuum the substrate when you do the water changes?

Yes every time do a water change the substrate gets vacuumed.

But with a Green Spotted Puffer is scale less so it needs weekly water changes to stay healthy

I get brown algae in my fresh water tank and I'm thinking its because of the high temp. I currently have the temperature of 86 degrees because one of the fish had parasites. Ever since the temp. was raised I started having the algae on the walls of the tank. It's not so bad, I just wipe it off every week and the tank looks clean again 8)

Also, I heard that if your tank is close to the window and the Sun light hits the tank a lot, you will get algae. Not sure if about brown algae but sun light makes the green algae multiply

Back
Top Bottom