Plants in fishless cycle tank look to dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anima20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank i am cycling and my ammonia levels seem low but I haven’t gotten a spike in nitrite or nitrate yet at all. I have some new plants i put in (2 spears and a java fern). The spears look to be turning brown on some leaves and also the leaves are curling. I’ve noticed some holes in a few leaves too. It’s been about 3 weeks since I started my cycle and been testing. I’ve done PWC’s as well. I have my tank set to 80F to grow bacteria but I dont think the plants are getting enough light. What would be a good recommendation for lighting for a 20 gallon high tank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 36
Why are you thinking your current light isnt enough? Those low light plants dont need much in the way of light and pretty much any aquarium light will suffice for them. Do you know make/model of your light fitting or the lumens output of it?

New plants normally go through a transition phase of being cultivated immersed (not fully under water) to being submerged in your aquarium. Plants need to adapt to these new conditions and can show some die off. Its possible for all old growth to die, but new growth should be tolerant to its new environment. Are you seeing any new growth?

3 weeks isnt ling enough to see if you are having issues with your plants.

In addition to Aiken’s spot on advice I would add that transitioning plants can contribute to algae as they decay.

Perform regular water changes to minimise algae growth and aid transition.

My experience has been this......

Cycling with plants mean that plants are exposed to to Ammonia.. but no Nitrates yet that plants need
Also as the tank cycles the plants are exposed to Nitrites.
So as a tank cycles, plants usually do not do their best.

However, once a tank is fully cycled , the plants come alive.... given some proper light and fertilizer.:)

Back
Top Bottom