Brown stuff...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
Just curious. You have 3 other tanks right? Do you have these issues with all your tanks?

The brown stuff grows in the Peacock tank and the 5g but the 10 doesn't I'm assuming the shrimp and snails take care of it.

Diatoms thrive in bad light, but are readily out competed by higher plants and algae. I know Cichlids like to uproot plants, but you could consider Java Moss or Java Ferns which will attach themselves directly to rocks and ornaments (Just tie them on with fishing line, or even use cotton string. By the time it rots away they'll be well rooted) and my friends cichlids don't seem to bother it. As an added advantage, you can regularly trim it to eliminate nitrates from your tank (Hell, you can even sell excess plants on ebay)

aptom203 said:
Diatoms thrive in bad light, but are readily out competed by higher plants and algae. I know Cichlids like to uproot plants, but you could consider Java Moss or Java Ferns which will attach themselves directly to rocks and ornaments (Just tie them on with fishing line, or even use cotton string. By the time it rots away they'll be well rooted) and my friends cichlids don't seem to bother it. As an added advantage, you can regularly trim it to eliminate nitrates from your tank (Hell, you can even sell excess plants on ebay)

I've tried moss and subwassertang, it was a no go... They were even taking bites out of my Anubias and I had to remove them :(

AndrewsPistol said:
I've tried moss and subwassertang, it was a no go... They were even taking bites out of my Anubias and I had to remove them :(

Really?! My Anubias are thriving in my tank asylum! And I swear my misfits move rocks!! I swear I come home or wake up and a rock is in a different place!! I think one actually left me a letter saying he wanted to fight me!! lol seriously though I found Anubias to be sooo easy! I just glue it to Cichlid stones, driftwood and slate. I had to take all the planted ones out though, the loaches kept digging them up. But I LOVE the Anubias. I don't have to post a pic lol you've seen it more then enough times ;)

Convict2161 said:
Really?! My Anubias are thriving in my tank asylum! And I swear my misfits move rocks!! I swear I come home or wake up and a rock is in a different place!! I think one actually left me a letter saying he wanted to fight me!! lol seriously though I found Anubias to be sooo easy! I just glue it to Cichlid stones, driftwood and slate. I had to take all the planted ones out though, the loaches kept digging them up. But I LOVE the Anubias. I don't have to post a pic lol you've seen it more then enough times ;)

It wad that gargantuan Kenyi that was the biggest problem, there were seriously bites taken out of it. It also got covered in the diatoms. Took the shrimp approximately 15 minutes to get em back to new lol

Back
Top Bottom