Brownish tank Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
The water in both of my 55 gallon tanks is brownish. When you look at the tanks from the front it looks clear, but when you look through the ends it looks brownish. I have driftwood in the tanks and I'm wondering if thats the cause. I do weekly pwc, about 1/2. I boiled and soaked the dw a lot before putting it in the tanks. In one tank I have black sand and have noticed what appears to be tiny pieces of dw laying on top of the sand. The other tank has gravel so I can't see if there are pieces. I'm wondering if I should take the dw out and do pwc several times to see if it clears up. I have HOB filters with floss and ceramic rings. Should I put charcoal in the filters? Suggestions please?

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

It is very possible. Even doing extensive processing of driftwood will likely not remove all of the tanins. I would keep an eye on your PH readings and just make sure that you're not getting extreme PH changes in the tank. Otherwise, the leeching will go away slowly over time, and your water should clear up with PWC without having to remove the driftwood.

Vircomore said:
It is very possible. Even doing extensive processing of driftwood will likely not remove all of the tanins. I would keep an eye on your PH readings and just make sure that you're not getting extreme PH changes in the tank. Otherwise, the leeching will go away slowly over time, and your water should clear up with PWC without having to remove the driftwood.

+1 for watching your PH.

My first experience with dw ended with fishy apacolypse due to an extreme PH swing so just keep an eye on it. You can use activated carbon to help remove the tannins. Between the pwc's, carbon, and some time, the water will clear up :)

Did a pwc on both tanks yesterday. I checked the ph before the pwc and it was 7.6 which is what it always is. Don't have soft water. I also replaced the fiberfloss and ceramic rings with carbon filters. I'm thinking about taking out the dw and boiling it some more. Like I said the water looks clear from the front, but cloudy from the ends. I think I'm just concerned that my fishies need clear water.

Seachem Prime

The tannin won't hurt them at all nothing to worry about. Some fish even prefer black water.

Mumma I have a question about using prime. I read that it is the best product to use to remove chlorine, etc, and I also read it helps to keep your water crystal clear. Do you agree? I've been using API stress coat when I do pwc and just treat the whole tank before I add fresh water. With prime can I do the same thing?

Maltimomma said:
Mumma I have a question about using prime. I read that it is the best product to use to remove chlorine, etc, and I also read it helps to keep your water crystal clear. Do you agree? I've been using API stress coat when I do pwc and just treat the whole tank before I add fresh water. With prime can I do the same thing?

I have never heard that before. I've only ever used prime so I have nothing to compare with. You can definitely treat the whole tank then add the water. That's how I do PWC on my larger tanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom