Brownish/yellow water-Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone know how to get rid of the yellowish/brown water cuz of driftwood? I did a few water changes already and it seems like it just went back to being yellow again and didnt do much.

Activated charcoal is supposed to work with taking out the color but I think needs tone changed more often to make it work faster...and continue with the water changes

Driftwood Tannins

Anyone know how to get rid of the yellowish/brown water cuz of driftwood? I did a few water changes already and it seems like it just went back to being yellow again and didnt do much.

Hello b...

Your piece of driftwood is leaching tannic acid, but it's essentially harmless. Just do your water changes and eventually the water will clear. This time of year you just need to rinse the piece with a pressure nozzle attached to a garden hose and leave it out in the sun for a couple of days. The heat and sunlight will kill any bacteria. Depending on how dense the driftwood is, boiling can soften it and cracks will develop. In a short time, pieces will break off and float to the top. Mopani wood is pretty dense, so you can likely boil it.

Just a couple of thoughts. There are always alternatives that will work.

B

Hello b...

Your piece of driftwood is leaching tannic acid, but it's essentially harmless. Just do your water changes and eventually the water will clear. This time of year you just need to rinse the piece with a pressure nozzle attached to a garden hose and leave it out in the sun for a couple of days. The heat and sunlight will kill any bacteria. Depending on how dense the driftwood is, boiling can soften it and cracks will develop. In a short time, pieces will break off and float to the top. Mopani wood is pretty dense, so you can likely boil it.

Just a couple of thoughts. There are always alternatives that will work.

B

Okay sounds good. Would it help you guys if i posted a pic of the wood?

Back
Top Bottom