bubbles in substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! Sorry I've been a bit quiet for a while, just been super busy. Anyway, The last few times I've cleaned my 10 gallon tank there are bubbles that come up from the deep gravel (pea size) base. Is this the same toxic gas that builds up in sand substrates? Thanks!

i have that happen too. and i'm pretty sure they can be toxic. i just had an outbreak of bga after stirring up my substrate and wonder if i released into the water column. however, ihave no scientific evidence for this--i could be wrong--i hope i am. i'm just going to keep aerating the substrate on a regular basis, not too roughly cuz i don't want to disturb theplants, but enoough to get some aeration. my silly clown loaches keep eating the mts i was buying for that purpose so i gave up on snails ;)

you could try mts to keep the gravel aerated. they do a really good job unless they become snacks.

ps is that your horse?

ps is that your horse?

I wish! I was extremely close to buying him but with winter coming in the mountains and a sketchy barn owner I just felt it wasn't the time. I told the owner if the horse is still available in May I would still want to buy him, but I am sure he'll be long gone.

i just had an outbreak of bga after stirring up my substrate and wonder if i released into the water column.
hmm... I'll have to wAatch and see what happens. But I figure I'll just aerate the tank more often than just when I am cleaning. I'm not a big fan of snails after finally getting rid of them all :wink:

deep gravel (pea size) base
:wink:

It is 2-3 1/2 inches thick depending on the location in the tank and I was wondering if it was the toxic nitrogen gas that I had heard about in sand substrate.

Smell your tank... If there is a rotten egg smell it might be hydrogen sulfide gas from organic waste decomposing under the substrate. It is toxic. If so you should vac the gravel well to get whatever is rotting under there out. Maybe do a 50% water change as well if the tank smells after the cleaning. If it doesn't smell then it might be something else. It won't smell like rotton eggs constantly... Only when the bubbles are popping at the surface.

nope, doesn't smell at all actually. I am an avid gravel cleaner and the tank is understocked as well.

In that case... It more than likely nitrogen, and AFIK not harmful. If the gravel is cleaned regularly then there's probably nothing bad down there. The bacteria are most likely doing their job of cleaning in the gravel, and the nitrogen bubbles are the by-product that you release when you vac.

Back
Top Bottom