Bulkhead fittings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
the previoud owner of my acylic tank had drilled holes and installed 2 bulkhead fittings for his custom filtering system, I'm not using then becuase i have a fluval 404, so i just attched hoses with shutoff valves on them.
Problem is fish have a habit og going in to one of them getting stuck and dying. I tried stuffing a piece of plastic aquarium plant down in it, but I think clown loaches are the suspects that keep pulling the plant out. Also since there is a hose, water flows down into it and doesn't get circulated out.

Anyways what i was thinking is getting aquarium glue and sealing it off. Anything wrong with this? any drawbacks? Any other suggestions?

If the piping uses a standard diameter (very likely), you should be able to pick up a cap at Home Depot. Suggest you don't seal it, as those fittings will be very useful if you decide to ever consider a sump or wet/dry, and will make your tank more desireable should you ever sell it. Another option is to stretch non-metallic window screen or some covering over the pipe entry, then secure it with a zip tie or rubber band.

You can also get a pipe to fit inside the bulkhead. Extend the pipe above the water & your fish can't ever get into the bulkheads!

Back
Top Bottom