Tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilk8tnaty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good afternoon everyone. I have a few questions hope i could get some help on.

I work in automotive with parts. Do you think the glue from a winsldshield from like a golf car would hurt the fish in the tank? I have cut some lids to fit but just one piece. I have a few windshields that have hinges glued to the windhield i wanna cut and use as tops.

Having an issue with green algae in a 65 gallon tank. We change water weekly. Usually 15-20 gallons. Tank does not sit in front of a window. We have a community tank. Angels, a small frog, balla sharks, tetras. Have some live plants in it.

Has anyone replaced a side piece of glass on the tank? I have 2 tanks need replaced. Local glass company said they could do it. I bought some aquarium glass sealant but not sure it it will work for the sides instead of just sealing the corners. Have a 50 gallon and then a hexigon probably 30 gall.

Thanks
Kirk

Since there are silicones that are tank safe and some that aren't, I wouldn't use anything that you don't know for sure are fish safe. You can still use the windshields but I'd get some fish safe silicone to make a hinge with.

Green algae is a result of enough nutrients and light so you may need to reduce your light hours and/or decrease the nutrients.

As for replacing glass, just make sure the old silicone is really cleaned out so that you have a clean surface to use a solid bead of silicone on the repair. Do not rush the post repair test. Let the silicone sit and cure for at least the amount of time on the directions. The longer you wait, the better. Some manufacturers use clamps to secure the panels while some just use a masking or duct tape to secure the panels. What I've done in the past is use the moldings as a guide. Once the silicone has been applied and the panels are secured in place, replace the top molding to ensure the repair is correctly positioned.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom