Bypassing a home water softener?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm toying with going to a larger fresh water aquarium, however, I'd like to do it only if I can use a Python or Lee water faucet drain and fill kit. The problem is the house uses a water softener (salt).

Anyone know of or developed a workaround for this?

In case you wondered, with my twenty gallon, I've just been buying RO water from the grocery store.

Check out any outside faucets, i think you'll find they are lead off prior to your softener. Just run a hose from there.

Answered my own question. Went looking around the utility room. Found a button marked "Bypass" pushed it, did a before and after water test... and voila! Bring on the Mbuna!

Hey, yeah........i have a water softener too and I just use a tap outside....it doesn't run through the system. I have a bypass button too but I find it easier to use outside water. Also.... try to find an actual tap on your water softener system that dispenses water before it goes into the softeners.

GOOD LUCK!

The Bypass button worked, and it's within steps of the kitchen sink I'd be using. Besides, it's too darn cold to be monkeying with outside faucets this time of year! Outside water gets shut off back in November to prevent freezing. (Learned that lesson the hard way) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom