Calling Allivymar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclubb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Allivymar,

My Angles are laying eggs! I didn't even think they were mature enough! The male is aprox 4 1/2" top to bottom. What should I do? Should the eggs be separated after the parents are done? This is coming at a really rotten time for me as we are bugging out of this apartment in about 4 weeks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. These Angels are the silver ones and I would *like* to keep the fry if they hatch.

TIA
Jay

Well, I'm not Allivymar, but I would like to know what other inhabitants are in that tank, as that will make a difference.

If this is their first spawning, you might want to just try and let them have a go at it. Once they start, you can count on relatively regular spawnings every 2 weeks or so. If you have catfish or the like in there the chances are greatly reduced, but sometimes the parents can handle it.

Also, sometimes it takes a spawning or three (or four or five) for the parents to get the hang of it and make it work.

Anyway, congratulations! There is really nothing like it, huh? :D

*starts laughing*

I had the same prob with my rams; apparently the fish just don't read the same information we do LOL

Coupla things to consider and think about. The angels will lay again, and often. If you guys are moving in a month or so, you may want to wait till you are settled to start raising fry. Plus, first time layers are not always successful; often the male doesn't do a great job fertilizing the eggs - if the are a translucent tan they are fertilized; if they are white, they aren't. First time layers also often eat their eggs initially if you don't get them out soon enough. What are they laying on? Mine always seem to lay on the intake tube of the filter - not something you want to be pulling from the tank LOL

This is a great site for angelfish raising info: http://www.angelsplus.com/breeding.htm . If you decide to pull the eggs and try raising them, everything you need to know is here. I haven't hand raised my first true batch; I had the parents do it for me *grin* they make much better parents then I do LOL

Keep us updated on whats going on!

All my old angel pair ever did was lay eggs every couple of weeks and then eat them all overnight. Wonderful parents. :roll:

Advice from someone who has tried moving with fry--if you don't have to, don't!! Ours did not make it and they were 2-3 months old :cry: Since they are first time parents, let them try, if it doesn't work--there will be more later!

Back
Top Bottom