Can a betta tank be too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 55 gallon cycled and heavily planted tank with 5 long fin gold danios and three neon tetras. Oh, and three Nerite snails.

I am moving a few hours away next summer and don't want to have to move a lot of fish, I am thinking of adding a male betta.

I haven't had good luck with getting healthy bettas the two other times I tried to keep them - both succumbed to illness rather quickly despite careful fish-keeping. This time I am thinking of getting a 1 gallon tank and mini-heater and treating a new betta with aquarium salt to quarantine it and get it as healthy as possible before adding it to a bigger aquarium.

So I have two questions. The first is if my plan is likely to work in terms of improving a betta's health, and the second is if I add it to my 55 gallon, will that be too big?IMG_0385.JPG

Please ignore most of the fish in the above tank photo. They're no longer in tank.

I don't think a tank can really be "too big" for a betta, but in my opinion, a 55-gallon tank with only one fish may be rather boring. If you keep the other fish you currently have and just add the betta, I think your tank would be great. It's good that you have allots of plants for the fish to hide and play in, and the betta will enjoy that very much. As for the quarantine tank, I'm not gonna lie: I've never had a quarantine tank, so I wouldn't be a good source for that info.

A quarantine tank would be fine but I'd probably suggest 5 gallons or 2.5 gallons as it'll be easier to maintain and heat and keep stable. And if your betta doesn't work out in the tank, you can always make the quarantine a permanent tank. A tank almost 99% of the time can never be too big, you don't need to add any fish to the tank, your betta will be perfectly fine alone and all the plants and hiding spots will give him a lot of enrichment. Though are you planning on keeping fish in the 55 other than the betta? bettas' personality can differ and some can be peaceful and some can be aggressive. Most suggest not to keep bettas with fish that have long fins, extravagant coloring, or are known fin nippers.

Also, if the betta doesn't have any obvious problems, most suggest to just keep him in a stable environment for about 4 weeks to make sure he's disease free. You should do this without treating with anything unless you actually think there's a problem.

Well the 5 danios and three neons are in the 55 already. I wanted to add the Betta to that tank but I have a 19 gal I can put the Betta in long-term that's already planted and cycled. (There are a few fish in there I can move to the 55 with no trouble. )

I agree that a tank can never be too big for a fish. Have you ever seen a betta, taken out of the cups certain stores sell them in, when you release them into a bigger tank? They swim back and forth quickly, finally able to stretch out, and I don't think I've ever seen a happier sight. I swear they are smiling! I have female bettas, and every time I bring one home, it swims and swims, as if it can't believe there is so much space! I wish I could let them all get good homes with big tanks. I feel so sorry for the ones who will never make it out of those cups. That said, I had a sorority in my 55 gallon tank (I had nine at one point) and I enjoyed them tremendously. Bettas are interactive, friendly fish that don't fear much. I have a preference for the females. They may not be as showy, and have shorter fins, but they make that up in personality!

I agree that a tank can never be too big for a fish. Have you ever seen a betta, taken out of the cups certain stores sell them in, when you release them into a bigger tank? They swim back and forth quickly, finally able to stretch out, and I don't think I've ever seen a happier sight. I swear they are smiling! I have female bettas, and every time I bring one home, it swims and swims, as if it can't believe there is so much space! I wish I could let them all get good homes with big tanks. I feel so sorry for the ones who will never make it out of those cups. That said, I had a sorority in my 55 gallon tank (I had nine at one point) and I enjoyed them tremendously. Bettas are interactive, friendly fish that don't fear much. I have a preference for the females. They may not be as showy, and have shorter fins, but they make that up in personality!

Rocky, you're so right about how happy they are when they are first set free! I'll give the female idea a thought.

Rocky, you're so right about how happy they are when they are first set free! I'll give the female idea a thought.

Gotta betta in my 55 gal planted. Happiest fish ever. In with a few angels and neons. Had him for about 2 years. He has visibly changed to more beautiful colors and grown.

I've found this too :)
I got my first Betta a few weeks ago now, and he love it. Very active, and actually seems to play with the little cascade of water I created near the filter. Big is good, and with lots of plants and interesting sights I'm sure he'll relish it

Edited to add, sorry I forgot to mention tank size is 9g

Back
Top Bottom