Can clown loaches be kept alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
or must they be kept in groups of 2,3 or more?

They are happier in groups of 3 or more. You can keep them in singles but I believe they won't be as happy as they should be.

I had a single clown loach (it was a gift) for almost half a year. All he ever did was stay in this one hiding spot. Then, when I started getting more in to aquariums, I did some research and found out about the schooling thing, so I got two other clown loaches. Suddenly, all three of them were swimming around all the time, sleeping on their sides in the middle of the tank, and just generally clowning around, if you will forgive the pun.

The moral of the story: they can survive singly (even when in the hands of someone who has only kept bettas) but it's when they have a school that their wonderful antics will come out.

Hope that helped!

I have one right now (used to have three, then one died from an ick battle, and one got really agressive, so I was down to one, he started getting really skinny, and i thought he was lonely, so I bought another one for him, then he died, and i was left with the one, and I have not bought any more yet. I will soon though...very soon).

I know she will be happier once I get some more in there, but as far as surviving goes, she is doing just fine. I do agree with everyone else though, they are much happier in groups. Mine does come out at feeding time though, or when we are doing anything in the tank. I just added my emerald cories to that tank (they have been in QT) and she swims around with them sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom