Can Fish Be Killed By Quarters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charli_10or_sax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My friend put a quarter in my tank and my fish died... For water treatment, I use Amquel and NovAqua. Any thoughts?

What was the timespan? It is not likely that something leeched out of the quater and killed the fish. Probably something on the surface of the quarter or it might just be coincidence.

Only if it hit em on the head. Or, were in the tank for a very long time. Then again, you see all sorts of money thrown into goldfish pools, and the poor fish somehow manage to survive...

Allivymar said:
Only if it hit em on the head. Or, were in the tank for a very long time. Then again, you see all sorts of money thrown into goldfish pools, and the poor fish somehow manage to survive...
My high school had a goldfish pond in a courtyard outside the cafeteria. We would sneak food out there and feed them (probably not good for the fishies' digestion). They were especially partial to pizza crust, LOL. Some of the more demented kids would throw pennies in the pond and the fish would eat them! 8O

Poor fish, now that I look back on it. Somehow they survived and got to be over 8 inches long.

Probably just a coincidence. HOWEVER...remember that from 1964 to the present our quarters have not been made of silver. Instead they are a three-layer sandwich. The outer layers are a 75% Copper/25% Zinc metal alloy and the inner layer is Copper. Over time it is possible that enough of these metals could leach into aquarium water to become toxic.

Its my guess there was a contaiminant on the quarter, or your fish was sick to begin with and either didn't show the sign or you didn't notice the sign.

its just a bad, and unfortunate coincidence

Back
Top Bottom