Can I add a crayfish with goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikariajk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I am new here and I am new to the hobby. So I have goldfish and I was wondering if I could add a crayfish in my fish tank.

I would probably say that it's not a good idea. Crayfish could pinch or stress your fish.

It depends on the size of your tank. How many goldfish do you have, and what size tank?

Size of the tank is a must to be able to answer that. Goldfish are very dirty fish and require a lot of space to themselves. I personally wouldnt put anything else with a goldfish in something smaller than a 20gal. I ran a Black moor in a 50gal for 6 years solo, a bit over the top I know.

Goldfish are also cold water fish so the heater isnt needed. That also means youll want to put other cold water fish with it. You could do cherry shrimp (though a bit of them will be food) or other fish fast enough to not be ate.

I would think that you can't add any more fish to your tank. Generally you want 20 gallons per goldfish if you want them to reach their full size. You might even consider getting a bigger tank so your fish have room to breathe.

Back
Top Bottom