can i add more otos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loubeardy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 22 litre tank (5 gallons) with a passive betta, a shrimp and 2 otos. can i add any more otos... how many? they are so cute! and the two I have seem to be very happy in their little home :)

AS I understand it (though I'm wrong more often than correct), otos prefer to be in schools. That's a pretty small tank, but otos are tiny fish, so 1 or 2 more may be possible. I wouldn't go with any more than that.

As mentioned above, Aqadvisor is a great resource to ballpark stocking plans. An aside to that, if you don't have much algae in your tank, be prepared to feed them algae wafers or blanched veggies to make up for it:)

AS I understand it (though I'm wrong more often than correct), otos prefer to be in schools. That's a pretty small tank, but otos are tiny fish, so 1 or 2 more may be possible. I wouldn't go with any more than that.
yeah I am aware they are schooling fish... but I read in a few places that it wasn't a huge deal if kept in pairs and the two I got were alone in the store tank. but I would like to get 2 more for them to school :)

As mentioned above, Aqadvisor is a great resource to ballpark stocking plans. An aside to that, if you don't have much algae in your tank, be prepared to feed them algae wafers or blanched veggies to make up for it:)
I don't have algae in my tank.. not yet any way... it's pretty new. plan to feed them veggies :)

Ottos do better in tanks with algae or a seasoned tank with good biofilm. Squeaky clean new tank can sometimes be tough to keep them long term.

I think aquavisor is a decent tool. But it doesnt take in account all the variables. Ottos do best in groups of 5 plus. With a betta and 2 ottos your already pretty well stocked. You would need a massive amount of algae to support 5 ottos in a 5g

Ottos do better in tanks with algae or a seasoned tank with good biofilm. Squeaky clean new tank can sometimes be tough to keep them long term.

I think aquavisor is a decent tool. But it doesnt take in account all the variables. Ottos do best in groups of 5 plus. With a betta and 2 ottos your already pretty well stocked. You would need a massive amount of algae to support 5 ottos in a 5g
I do plan to supplement their diet with veg do they get enough food.

Back
Top Bottom