can i keep endler guppies with a male betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was getting some female dwarf rainbow fish and ended up with 2 male endler guppies in the bag as well. I've put them in my 10 gallon, but I'm getting a male betta tomorrow that I bought online. Will they be OK together. I'd put them in my 30 gallon but I'd be worried about my angelfish eating them

You could try it I currently house my Betta (Kevin) with 3 Candy Cane Tetras
4 Panda Tetras
1 Panda Corey Catfish
1 Golden Mystery snail
2 Bloodfin Tetras
2 Lamp eye Tetras and
1 Orange Neon Tetra.
Sometimes you just get a good Betta and they don't care at all whats in there and I've had ones that will attack and kill everything.

I don't suggest it. Guppies (and the flashy Endler's) are generally bad tankmates for betta. Betta do have varied personalities and some will be more aggressive than others for sure, but tankmates with flowy fins and bright colors tend to push that boundary more and many bettas who would otherwise do fine in a community setting don't do well with guppies or Endler's.
When in doubt, remember the best answer is "just one more tank." ;)

It really depends on the individual betta's temperament. I have my male betta in my 15-gallon tank with a small school guppies and they get along fine, but my sister has a betta that attacks anything in its tank, including plants and the bubbles from the airstone from time to time. I'd put them together for about 3 or 4 days and watch them closely to make sure there's no fin nipping or anything like that, and if it's good then you're all set. If not, you'll have to either switch around your stock some or get a new tank for either the livebearers or the betta.

It really depends on the individual betta's temperament. I have my male betta in my 15-gallon tank with a small school guppies and they get along fine, but my sister has a betta that attacks anything in its tank, including plants and the bubbles from the airstone from time to time. I'd put them together for about 3 or 4 days and watch them closely to make sure there's no fin nipping or anything like that, and if it's good then you're all set. If not, you'll have to either switch around your stock some or get a new tank for either the livebearers or the betta.

Unfortunately getting another tank is not an option.

Back
Top Bottom