Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

can i leave my lights on all day?

I dont know but people have told me not to leave the light on in the tank all day and turn it off at night that it will be overun by alge.
Is that true?

Old 08-19-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Tru 'dat.

I mean, that is correct. Very much so. Unless you're talking about on only 10 hrs daily and off at night. What do you mean by all day?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

abou 12 hours
Old 08-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Most recommendations are for your MHs for 10 hrs and the blue (if applicable) for one hour before and after the MHs. What kinda lights you got anyway?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I leave my lights on for 14 hours a day and then off for 8. This is because I am attempting to give them a 'natural' cycle, as this is probably about how it would be in their natural habitats....I think.

I haven't had too many problems with algae, but I have 3 otocinclus in my 38 for that purpose and a golden chinese algae eater in my 10. So far, algae is under control.

Just one hint: Keep your aquarium out of direct sunlight if possible, or you will DEFINITELY have algae problems.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

1actinic6000k, 2 50%50s, and 1full spectrum.
2 jewel cichlid
2 convicts wfry 2-3 hundred
anyone from MN. i havent seen anyone please pm me
Holton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Fishalicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer
I leave my lights on for 14 hours a day and then off for 8.

Paul
What happens the other two hours?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to anglefishgirl Send a message via Yahoo to anglefishgirl
So, im going on vacation on monday. leaving in those little feeding pellets that feed for 14 days and the lights on for the entire week...you think my fish will be okay when i get back?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Holton, this is FW tank, your lighting setup is for SW....

A timer will save a lot of the problem. Typical fw tank, need only 12 hours of lighting. IF you have timer, you can make it switch off the tank for 2-3 hour during afternoon (when everyone is working) and switch it on again to prolong the viewing window.

fishgirl, its better to switch off the light for 14 days then having it on for 14 day if your room ambient light is good enug to see the fish in the tank . Btw there is feeding pellets that 'last' for 14 days. If you are talking about those white cube sell in lfs, be prepare as those will become very messy when u are back.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
fishgirl- just pick up a light timer at home depot, they are really cheap and worth it. they also have automatic feeders at most LFS which can feed your fish flake once or twice a day. i have personally never tried them, but i have heard good things. but i think the best thing is to have a neighbour come over and feed them once a day if at all possible, because with any automatic or block feeding system you run the risk of a big mess when you return.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

vega that makes sens the peson that told me to use thous lights has had sw tanks for a long time and I dont think he knows mutch about fw he's ohio reefer.
2 jewel cichlid
2 convicts wfry 2-3 hundred
anyone from MN. i havent seen anyone please pm me
Holton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:16 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Spend a little more oney for a better feeder, try it out before you leave to make sure the proper amounts come out. And yes, I agree with the $3-5 timer for the lights. Can't leave your lights on all day for 2 weeks. IMO a couple of things - bad things could happen. You'll get algea growth more than you'd care to deal with. Also, your fish would likely wear themselves down, and by staying on the move so much, creat bad water quality. The darkness makes them rest.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You might want to start the timer feeder 3-5 days before the holiday to check the reliability of the feeder.

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com