can i leave my lights on all day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holton

Aquarium Advice Regular
I dont know but people have told me not to leave the light on in the tank all day and turn it off at night that it will be overun by alge.
Is that true?

Tru 'dat.

I mean, that is correct. Very much so. Unless you're talking about on only 10 hrs daily and off at night. What do you mean by all day?

Most recommendations are for your MHs for 10 hrs and the blue (if applicable) for one hour before and after the MHs. What kinda lights you got anyway?

I leave my lights on for 14 hours a day and then off for 8. This is because I am attempting to give them a 'natural' cycle, as this is probably about how it would be in their natural habitats....I think. :)

I haven't had too many problems with algae, but I have 3 otocinclus in my 38 for that purpose and a golden chinese algae eater in my 10. So far, algae is under control.

Just one hint: Keep your aquarium out of direct sunlight if possible, or you will DEFINITELY have algae problems.

Paul

So, im going on vacation on monday. leaving in those little feeding pellets that feed for 14 days and the lights on for the entire week...you think my fish will be okay when i get back?

Holton, this is FW tank, your lighting setup is for SW....

A timer will save a lot of the problem. Typical fw tank, need only 12 hours of lighting. IF you have timer, you can make it switch off the tank for 2-3 hour during afternoon (when everyone is working) and switch it on again to prolong the viewing window.

fishgirl, its better to switch off the light for 14 days then having it on for 14 day if your room ambient light is good enug to see the fish in the tank . Btw there is feeding pellets that 'last' for 14 days. If you are talking about those white cube sell in lfs, be prepare as those will become very messy when u are back.

fishgirl- just pick up a light timer at home depot, they are really cheap and worth it. they also have automatic feeders at most LFS which can feed your fish flake once or twice a day. i have personally never tried them, but i have heard good things. but i think the best thing is to have a neighbour come over and feed them once a day if at all possible, because with any automatic or block feeding system you run the risk of a big mess when you return.

vega that makes sens the peson that told me to use thous lights has had sw tanks for a long time and I dont think he knows mutch about fw he's ohio reefer.

Spend a little more oney for a better feeder, try it out before you leave to make sure the proper amounts come out. And yes, I agree with the $3-5 timer for the lights. Can't leave your lights on all day for 2 weeks. IMO a couple of things - bad things could happen. You'll get algea growth more than you'd care to deal with. Also, your fish would likely wear themselves down, and by staying on the move so much, creat bad water quality. The darkness makes them rest.

You might want to start the timer feeder 3-5 days before the holiday to check the reliability of the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom