Can I remove a bunch of rocks without harming my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjwebb86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I feel like there is way too many rocks in my aquarium and want to remove a like half of them so the fish can have almost an inch more of space at the bottom. I won't be harming the bacterial environment if I do that will I? And I'm assuming I should do this before I do my cleaning since I'll be stirring up so much sediment?

I feel like there is way too many rocks in my aquarium and want to remove a like half of them so the fish can have almost an inch more of space at the bottom. I won't be harming the bacterial environment if I do that will I? And I'm assuming I should do this before I do my cleaning since I'll be stirring up so much sediment?

What type of fish do you have? Are they Cichlids? (If not, see below.) If you do have Cichlids I'm sure a die hard Cichlid hobbyist will chime in soon.

I am assuming that the rocks that you speak of are big decorative rocks. I would say, short answer: yes. Just be careful when moving big rocks around and try not to crack your glass. There is a bacterial environment living in the substrate, but the beneficial bacteria living in the filter is what you want to protect IMO. So, yes. Remove your rocks, but be careful.

Thank you!! I guess I could of given a little bit more information, sorry! They are a school of tiger barbs. And they are the rocks that are used as a floor for the aquarium, they are the largest size I could buy in a large bag at the local pet store. I had bought 2 bags emptied both in their tank when I first set it up but after looking at it for the last couple of months with the fish it just seems like the rocks are taking up more space then they should & need to be. I will be careful when removing them! Thank you for the advice!!

I usually go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy their pea gravel. It is a lot cheaper...you have to wash it thoroughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rescaping Your Tank

Hello jj...

You can change things around without harming anything, just be careful and make the changes in the middle of a water change, when the water level is low. This makes things so much easier. As far as bacteria loss, there will be a little, but not enough to do any harm. When you put everything back together and turn on the system, the good bacteria will reproduce to former levels in a few hours.

Have fun!

B

Back
Top Bottom