Can my hood light be to bright for my fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linsay

Aquarium Advice Regular
My roberti tetras run and hide as soon as the light is turned on. I have a 20g. with a 15watt florescent bulb. I have several live plants so I really don't want to downgrade my lighting. It would be nice to see my fish! They only come out of hiding at night or when the light is off. One of my fears is if when I get the rest of my fish they hide all day long too. Bubbles and greens are interesting for the first 2 minutes - i want to actually see fish LOL! Also the roberti's are beautiful in the AM a dark red color but are quite washed out the rest of the day. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

hmm, maybe increase lights incrementally in the room (e.g., one light, then after 10min, another light, and finally the aquarium). Be sure to move slowly at first. At night, do the other way round (first the tank, then the others, etc). My neon tetras used to panic but now got used to this way. But they still like to wander in the green!

Astroguy has a good suggestion - maybe the sudden appearance of light spooks the fish.

I couldn't find any info on Roberti tetras, but AFAIK, all tetras are diurnal.
How long have you had the fish? Maybe they are just shy and need some time to get used to your tank and its surroundings.
Do yopu have lots of places for them to hide? Fish tend to be bolder if they know there is a secure hideyhole nearby.
Are there any tankmates that may be harassing them during the day?
You could try feeding them when the light is on - that way they will grow to associate the light being on with dinnertime.

My fish did this too initially, but they seem to have gotten used to the light with time. I agree with astroguy about increasing lights incrementally. i recently upgraded to brighter bulbs, but i kept the old 15-watts and still use one of them in the morning and at night, as a transition light.

A dark substrate might help, if the problem persists.

We have had them for about 6 weeks now. I can't find much info on Roberti's either. Their scientific name is Hyphessobrycon Roberti. I know they are from Peru. Besides that.......
My husband is the one home and caring for them the most. He says he does turn the lights on gradually but has been feeding them in the dark because they won't move if the lights are on.
I did just buy a darker substrate last night. My aunt bought our tank for a christmas present and had purchased a natural rock substrate which is lighter in color.

I pretty much do what astroguy does - hallway light, room light, then tank light. That's fine for two of my tanks, but the 10 gallon has a funny switch that makes a snapping noise when I turn it on - always makes the poor platy jump to safety. :( She comes out relatively fast though.

I do the increment thing as well. It's usually about 30 minutes after the first light is turned on that the tank lights are finally turned on. Weekends are a bit different as I get up later in the morning. I let mother nature take care of that.

Night time is about the same, turning lights off at about the same time at night while still doing whatever I do with my lights on.

Back
Top Bottom