Can you use too much prime/ water conditioner ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex33

Aquarium Advice Regular
What if you double water conditioner ? Will it be harmful?

Well, the recommended dosage is what's been proven to be a sufficient amount to treat that specific amount of water. So, doubling it really could have no benefit and could harm the fish because of the extra chemicals in the water.

Some people get a filter for a bigger tank than theirs, but getting a bigger filter is much different because you really can't get too much filtration, but obviously you can have too many chemicals in the water.

I've found that you can add to much prime actually, if the water is perfect, too much prime can really hurt the fish.

The label in prime says that it's safe for up to five times the dosage. But if I recall, that isn't for long.

Thanks guys! Need all help I can get w this new fish to fast tank:) !

My lfs guy advised me to be careful dosing with Prime.

I am guessing that the OP has figured out how much prime to use since he posted in 2012.....

That being said, Prime is a reducer so a massive overdose could cause an issue. However, doubling the amount is not going to hurt anything. Seachem claim that up to 5x the normal dose is safe.

He said that it was a good product, but, you needed to know how to use it effectively.
It doesn't really require any special training. Just use the amount it states on the back of the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom