Canister filter recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexp08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank from walmart, with the walmart filter 24x12x16. Well i dont like the filter. so i was looking at different ones.
Any recommendation of a canister filter that wont break the bank? iwas hoping for under 50 dollars. Thanks

For around 50 dollars, give or take:
Canister, try SunSun canisters on ebay.
If you want hang on back filter, try Aquaclear.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Eheim kick asses !

I have a Eheim 2213 on my (overstocked?) tank and everything is really cool.

Maintenance required each 5 months in my case. Don't forget to run both filters in same time for 1 month to keep the cycle or to transfer the ceramic bio pellets into the canister.

Sunsun 302...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why a canister?

The Aquaclear / Fluval 30 could be great on a 20. Very nice hob, under $50 even if you want to customize media.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Because they are far quieter. I bought the one I linked to replace the aquaclear on my 20 high. Can't wait to get it.

Ahhhh ... Good to know.

I find my Aquaclear to be pretty silent, but only with the water level all the way up.

They're both quiet, cannister just packs a lot more punch. . I like them both now so I run both! They both offer unique benefits so why not double team?!

Trenna - look at post #3 in this thread to help keep the AC quiet even at not so high water levels: Micro bubbles and overstocked?
The sun sun has an appealing price and would allow me to more effectively diffuse CO2 through a reactor (instead of the diffuser under the HOB method). I just need to see if I can fit the filter into my cabinet with minimal modifications. I like the directional control of a spray bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Trenna - look at post #3 in this thread to help keep the AC quiet even at not so high water levels: Micro bubbles and overstocked?
The sun sun has an appealing price and would allow me to more effectively diffuse CO2 through a reactor (instead of the diffuser under the HOB method). I just need to see if I can fit the filter into my cabinet with minimal modifications. I like the directional control of a spray bar.

I just inject the CO2 directly to my canister intake, and I get almost 100% dissolve. See my video :D

Ahhhh ... Good to know.

I find my Aquaclear to be pretty silent, but only with the water level all the way up.

Yeah I thought that they were pretty silent too, until I got my first canister. Everything is relative :)

I just got the sunsun 302 for under $50 off amazon. And it would have been even cheaper but I chose the option of getting it with all the filter media. I love this filter. As quiet as they get and is keeping my tank crystal clear.

I just got the sunsun 302 for under $50 off amazon. And it would have been even cheaper but I chose the option of getting it with all the filter media. I love this filter. As quiet as they get and is keeping my tank crystal clear.

I was looking at that, but its 264 gal per hour a little much for a 20?

I've got some plants for them to hide in. Any suggestions for fash fish that can make it in a small (5 gallon) tank? Thanks for being so quick & helpful!

I'm about to set one up on mine, you can reduce flow by drilling or widening holes on spray bar..

I was looking at that, but its 264 gal per hour a little much for a 20?

It says 264 gph but I really do to think its that much. Especially if you cram it full of media. I think it's perfect in my 20Long. And like brookster said. You can drill out the holes in the spray bar or even add a few holes to reduce flow if it's too much for your liking.

Mine is a 20 high. Will that matter?

You can always adjust the angle of the spraybar if you have too much flow. Point it more toward the surface or something so it's not shooting straight across the length of the tank

It's also helpful to drill some holes in the back go the spraybar, to diffuse the current. I've even drilled a hole in the end cap of the spraybar.

I have a 55 gallon tank and have about 140 dollar budget! What canister filter would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom