Canister VS HOB Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the benefits vs drawbacks to each?
How often do you need to clean a canister?

I have a 20 gallon tank.

I have a Rena XP2 on my 46 gallon.
It is TOTALLY silent.
I have to feel the spraybar to see if it’s pumping water.
I use Rena supplied foam in the bottom basket, Rena stars in the middle
And polyfil (untreated) from Walmart in the top basket.
Cleaning is not a big deal, maybe once every 5-6 weeks.
I just rinse the foam and polyfil in old tank water.
One problem that I have is cleaning the inside of the hoses on the XP2.
It’s hard to remove the hoses, then fish a wire through the hose and pull
a cloth through it.
The XP series are very easy to disconnect the hoses from the canister.
Just unplug the power, lift the hose release and pull the canister out for cleaning.
If you are going to inject CO2, a canister is best.
A HOB will create a lot of surface turbulence which will cause the
CO2 to gas off.
A HOB also is noisy, some kinds more than others.
I have three Aquaclear HOB’s that I clean about every four weeks.
I take the tops off of them to reduce vibration noise.
IMO Aquaclears are the best HOB.

Charles

I have both an XP2 and 2 XP3's, and they are super quiet, love them. As for the hoses, I don't even clean mine, I just leave them alone. I even use the Hydor Inline heater, which works perfectly with the setup, and I don't have to have a heater inside the tank. As for cleaning, I've been pretty lazy lately and haven't cleaned them as often as I should, and cleaned them when the flow was getting low. I need to start cleaning more often, lol. I would say 5-6 weeks is pretty good, my tank needs it a little more often right now.

As for HOB's, I also have an Emperor 280 on my 26G. I don't care for Aquaclears myself. It's pretty quiet too, as for the filter, but you can hear the water flow from the output. It's quite relaxing to me, but some people don't like it.

My preference is the canister filters. They are quiet and easy to maintain. And I won't get anything but the XP's, they are excellent for the price. I would never pay the ticket price for an Eheim, they are overpriced, IMO. I've had my XP3's now for about 6 years, and still working perfectly. I might need to replace the impeller on one, as the flow has decreased a little, but other than that, works perfectly. And still silent.

When I bought my 90 off Craigslist it came with a Marineland Emperor 400 HOB. It is a very quiet filter and I just rince the catridges every other week. I ordered a Marineland C-530 canister and it will be here tomorrow, I will let you know how I like it.

depends on the hob. i really like the AC hobs since it tends to have more media area then most. canisters have a few things going for them. run below the water line so no water fall sound. also is nice if you want to add co2 in a planted tank. not everyone wants planted or co2 so that might not be a plus. it holds for the most part a lot more media then hobs. it allows easy section off media. also allows the tank to be closer to the wall and more easy to hide in the tank. down side is the cost.

good to know.
I think my next purchase will be a real Co2 kid THEN a canister filter possibly down the road

canisters there is only one intake too.... and one out put. you get the right ones that has quick release its really simple. i dont know how they could dumb it down any more.

Back
Top Bottom