Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want some decent size catfish for my 40 gallon aquarium. So far I only have my baby albino bichir in there

Bumble bee might be a good choice forgot about them. I don't think the pleco would be so good since they get HUGE and produce a lot of waste but thx anyway

Hoplo Cat, spotted raphael, glass cats (must be in large groups), syno petricola, syno nirgriventis, cory cats.

Those [are] all nice I'll look into them but how bout a tiger shovelnose cat I think that's a really cool one! Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say hoplo is a good choice. The glass cat need large groups and can be sensitive to water quality, cories need groups, raphs hide all the time, and synos can be nippy. Hoplo are super nice, stay under 4" and are very cool. They will stick their big whiskers on a rock or plant and use them like an anchor and just float.

Oh ok that seems really cool lol but still where could I find them and avrg cost?

Do you have a good local place you could ask to order something for you? That is the best way so you dont have to pay crazy shipping prices. Im sure you could find anything you need on aquabid, liveaquaria, petsolutions, petplace and MANY other online places.

Well I have a ton if fish stores near by and I actually have this place called "shark aquarium" there all freshwater and they carry everything might give that place a try first lol

Ok so now I'm leading toward the hoplo but how bout the striped Raphael? Hides too much or not suitable

They just hide a lot. I love mine, one of my favorites, but I like him because i only see him once in a while. Some people dont like hiders. If you have wood they will just stick to it 24/7. At least mine does, and only comes out when he smells food, sucks up his wafer, and goes back into hiding. But it is a heavy bioload for something you only see 3 times a week. They only grow about 3-4" and would be fine in a 40g. The hoplos are more outgoing.

Speaking about hiding lol I don't have that May place like I have a good amount but [you] can see through all of them. And my bichir just ate 14 shrimp pellets and now he just laying underneath the rock lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom