Catfish mouth rotting.. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luis_j

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again!

Story:

I have a 15 gallon tank and going into my fourth week with fish in cycling. In the beginning I had 2 red platys, 3 cory juli catfish, and 1 dwarf gourami. Four days ago I lost my dwarf gourami and found out that my nitrite and ammonia levels were really high. I also noticed that one of my julii catfish was not moving and laying on his back. My nitrite levels were 5 and ammonia was .5 and members of this forum recommended to do two 50% water change within two hours and prime it 5x the dose. I did the water change, but it was too late for my sick cory catfish because he died. (I'm very sad) Now, I noticed that another of my Cory catfish is sick. He's mouth seems like its rotting away and does not have any whiskers. I was wondering if you guys can please help me! I don't want another catfish to die! What can I do and why is that even happening! and also is that even contagious? I don't want my other fish to die

I've also been doing 30% water changes everyday until yesterday that I found out about my high nitrites and ammonia.

My water parameters as of right now:

pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .5
Nitrate - 0 - 5

Tank setup as of right now:

15g
sand
fake plants
filter
heater - 78 F
2 red platys
Air bubbles
2 cory catfish (I had 3, but on of them died and now another one has the rotting mouth problem)

Pictures of the catfish with rotting mouth are attached. (it was hard to take a pic because he's always hiding.

Attachments

• photao.jpg
    photao.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 133
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 137
  • photso.jpg
    photso.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 104
Hello again!

Story:

I have a 15 gallon tank and going into my fourth week with fish in cycling. In the beginning I had 2 red platys, 3 cory juli catfish, and 1 dwarf gourami. Four days ago I lost my dwarf gourami and found out that my nitrite and ammonia levels were really high. I also noticed that one of my julii catfish was not moving and laying on his back. My nitrite levels were 5 and ammonia was .5 and members of this forum recommended to do two 50% water change within two hours and prime it 5x the dose. I did the water change, but it was too late for my sick cory catfish because he died. (I'm very sad) Now, I noticed that another of my Cory catfish is sick. He's mouth seems like its rotting away and does not have any whiskers. I was wondering if you guys can please help me! I don't want another catfish to die! What can I do and why is that even happening! and also is that even contagious? I don't want my other fish to die

I've also been doing 30% water changes everyday until yesterday that I found out about my high nitrites and ammonia.

My water parameters as of right now:

pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .5
Nitrate - 0 - 5

Tank setup as of right now:

15g
sand
fake plants
filter
heater - 78 F
2 red platys
Air bubbles
2 cory catfish (I had 3, but on of them died and now another one has the rotting mouth problem)

Pictures of the catfish with rotting mouth are attached. (it was hard to take a pic because he's always hiding.

I think it's safe to assume that the rotting away of the whiskers is due to the water parameter issues and that's what killed your first Cory too. It may just be to late for this one too but what may help is the water changes and keeping a very close eye on the toxin levels.

Should I quarantine him? I was thinking of taking him out and treating him with Maracyn 2.

If its fin rot caused by the parameter issue then no don't remove it, just fix the problem. It's not contagious but the other fish may have this happen to them too but not because the one had it first. I don't know for sure what maracyn 2 treats but honestly getting your water perfect will help more than meds will and if you absolutely want to treat with something try some melafix

If its fin rot caused by the parameter issue then no don't remove it, just fix the problem. It's not contagious but the other fish may have this happen to them too but not because the one had it first. I don't know for sure what maracyn 2 treats but honestly getting your water perfect will help more than meds will and if you absolutely want to treat with something try some melafix

Okay thanks, I looked at the fish right now while I was feeding the other fish and his fins are definitely not rotting. My only concern is that he's not eating and he just seems to hover and I notice him breathing heavily. As far as my water parameters, everything is perfect except my nitrite which is .5. I've already did a 50% water change this morning. Would another 50% water change would help lower nitrites?

I apologize for the amount of questions.

It is quite common for Cory Cats barbels to decay if water conditions are less than ideal. Once your water conditions are improved, barring it survives after being exposed to both high ammonia and nitrites, the barbels can/will grow back. Leave him alone as already mentioned this is not contagious.

Back
Top Bottom