Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Celestial Pearl Danios in a 55g

I just found out my fish lady can order CPDs. I also just found in my research that they are subtropical rather than tropical fish. Which means they like it about where the goldfish and dojo loaches do.

Which got me thinking of my 55g tank and imagining a huge school of 40 or so of those .85 inch long fish with the golden dojo's, and the plants, and driftwood, and sand...

Shame I'd have to rehome the goldfish somewhere. I need more tanks *sigh*

5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They're very pretty little fish, but do bear in mind, they're also pretty territorial. Males will spar and fight, so they do best in heavily planted tanks, with well broken sight lines, so they don't have to see each other all the time. Best to have several females to each male also.

The females have the same markings but their background body colour is a much paler blue. So sometimes, you find stores selling only males, because they are the more dramatic colour. The problem with this is that having all males means they are going to be stressed all the time, as they wouldn't be able to really get away from each other if you had a lot of them in one tank.

They're also mid level feeders, not top feeders, so very slow sinking mini pellets are better for them than flakes are. Hikari makes some that aren't bad at all. The fish also very much appreciate live or frozen foods. I fed mine microworms a few times a week, as they are so easy to culture, along with bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 55 gallon tank with a large shoal of CPDs as the focal point sounds like a waste of a tank to me. Especially when you're limited in what else you can put in the tank. Get a 15 gallon for the CPDs. Heck, you could even keep them in a 10.

Tags
celestial pearl danio, danio, danios

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com