Free guppies to whoever saves my danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennakm

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help me!! Explanation below parameters.

MAIN TANK:
10gal tank
Gravel substrate
Artificial and live plants (plenty of hiding spots)
Filtration: standard aqueon hang on 10gal filter
Light: fluvon 10gal tank plant light (14 hours a day)
Air-stone with 10gal air pump
Temp- 26°C
Ammonia- .1ppm
Nitrite- .28ppm
Nitrate- 7ppm
Ph- 7.2

POPULATION: 6 neon zebra danios, 2 longfin leopard danios, 2 guppies (1 male 1 female)
Maintenance: gravel vac and 25% water change yesterday (nov. 3rd)
Supplements: Seachem Prime (5x dose to help detoxify), Seachem Stability (daily dosage) Seachem Flourish (daily dose)
Start date: september 10th
Cycling complete: oct 17th

DIET:*
-aqueon tropical fish flakes every other day
-frozen peas every tuesday
-baby brine shrimp every thursday

SICK FISH: danios (leopard and zebra)
Symptoms: hovering by the heater in one spot, barely moving. Fins clamped. Bloated belly and arched back. Discoloration. Not eating. Extremely responsive to the fish net and impossible to catch, otherwise does nothing all day.
Time from noticed illness to death: 3-4 weeks
Treatments attempted: peas for constipation, salt dip with aquarium salt (1tbs/ gal temp matched dechlorinated water)
Possible symptoms: tail deteriorated? Was always clamped but seemed shorter and a bit ragged. Might have been from other fish nipping at him.

TIMELINE:
-Sept 10th cycling /w 3 leopard danios
- oct 1st Danio dies. One removed. 2 new added.
-oct 17th cycling complete. 6 zebra danios added. Water change.
-oct 20th 2 guppies purchased. New tank setup.*
-oct 24th fry born in 2nd tank.*
-oct 26th notice sick behavior in danio 1. Water change and gravel vac. Prime added.
- oct 27th water change and gravel vac. Prime added. Salt dip Danio 1.
-oct 29th water change and gravel vac. Prime added.
-oct 30th 2 more sick leopard danios
-nov 2nd Danio 1 dies. Pink zebra danio sick. Water change and gravel vac. Prime added. *
-nov 3rd fed frozen peas.

AQUARIUM HISTORY: Okay there is a bit of backstory here. September 10th i started a new tank. I cycled it using 3 leopard* danios adding Stability daily to help establish the biofilter. One was a bit aggressive and nipped at the smaller guy a lot who eventually passed away, either from stress or injury/infection. The other guy wasn’t doing too swell either, so i brought him to my local aquarium for them to try and save him. I then purchased 2 more leopard danios. After about 5 weeks the tank finished cycling, so with the aquariums approval of my water i purchased 6 neon zebra danios. When i returned i did its first 30% water change using dechlorinated temp matched water and acclimated the new fish before adding them. About a week later i returned to buy a pair of guppies and purchased a new 7.5 gal tank for breeding and fry purposes. That setup is irrelevant to this issue.*
Somewhere around that time i noticed one of my leopard danios acting unusual. He was sitting by the heater and barely swimming with his fins sort of clamped. Concerned, i called my local aquarium. They had me test my water using a master kit (test tubes and drops and the like). Unfortunately, the levels were outrageous. Ammonia was at 2ppm, nitrite at 5ppm, and nitrate at 40ppm. I’m quite new to aquariums and hadn’t been doing gravel vacuuming with the biweekly water changes. I was quickly informed of what to do. I purchased Prime to help detoxify, started with gravel vac and 20% water change. Repeated the next day. Waited 2 days and did so again with 25% water change. I also changed the filter cartridges when i did the original vacuuming and again yesterday (nov 3rd) and added Seachem Matrix Biofilter stones to the filter.*
Unfortunately, in the meantime 2 more leapord danios started acting the same. Hovering by the heater, fins clamped, barely moving. Over time they develop bloat and slight discoloration. Monday Nov 2nd i returned home from work and found that the origin danio had died. I called the aquarium and asked for advice but they said keep working on the water parameters and lower the temp a little. I even brought him in and begged them to help me save him beforehand, but at the time he was stressed and not acting ill and he had no other visible symptoms besides the arched back and a bit of bloat.*
In addition, a pink neon zebra danio is now exhibiting the same behavior, even though the water has only improved.

So finally, HERE IS MY QUESTION.

Are my fish having a delayed and prolonged death from the water parameters? Did i change too much too quickly? Can fish die from stress alone? Or could they have a parasite/bacterial infection??*

I really don’t want to slowly watch my fish drop like flies. I’m afraid they all have an illness that is contagious and i have to treat the tank/ euthanize them. Is it too late for the sick guys?

My second tank is not available to be used as a hospital tank. The mama guppy is in there and about to burst, she had 7 fry (that i found) about a week and a half ago that have been in the breeding box until she finishes (which i clean every 2 days because their feces collect quite quickly). I don’t want to put her in the main tank in case they have some kind of infection, but when she has her babies i’ll have to remove her.*

PLEASE HELP! Are my fish safe? Keep doing what I’m doing? Change something? Euthanize them? Medicine? I’m willing to remove plants in order to make this tank a temporary hospital tank

Why are you feeding every other day? I was told a pinch every day is suffice and I have guppies. I'm a newbie, just 3 month tank owner. But you seem to know what you're doing. I have 8 guppies and a few females have given birth. Sadly I don't have a breeder tank so there were many fry who didn't make it, 4 did though with the oldest a month old. One female died because she gave birth too many times - turned pale and bloated and died in a matter of days. Hard to watch

here

go to Walmart and pick up tetra lifeguard it will cure any and all illnesses and also go to amazon and get some stability beneficial bacteria. I would remove all substrate and boil the substrate (Gravel/Sand) or microwave it to kill parasites. Remove any live plants if you have any as lifeguard might kill them also remove any inverts as it could hurt them two I would also buy ick guard and fungus guard from Walmart too add via instructions using one medicine at a time over two weeks and try and feed live food(Brineshrimp/Daphnia) to encourage them to eat also raise temp to 82 degrees. Daily water changes. Turn lights off and wash decorations and fake plants. Let me know if you need a link or have any questions. Same thing happened to my fish

Just a fyi if they are too far gone and they all die before you get new fish bleach the tank and salt water dip any live plants before you decide to get any new fish. I hope this helps you I ended up losing half my population of guppies to this illness

Just a fyi if they are too far gone and they all die before you get new fish bleach the tank and salt water dip any live plants before you decide to get any new fish. I hope this helps you I ended up losing half my population of guppies to this illness

After lots of research I’m thinking its nitrite poisoning. It takes up to 2 weeks to slowly kill the fish with internal organ damage. They are too far gone, but the rest of my fish might be okay if i keep water parameters at acceptable levels.

here

then i would do a huge waterchange and buy some seaachem stability that is a three in one bacteria with several strains to break down ammonia nitrate and nitrite it works so well in my 20 gal I do a water change once a month

Ammonia- .1ppm
Nitrite- .28ppm

After lots of research I’m thinking its nitrite poisoning. It takes up to 2 weeks to slowly kill the fish with internal organ damage. They are too far gone, but the rest of my fish might be okay if i keep water parameters at acceptable levels.

How did you measure your ammonia and nitrite levels? I'm curious because the readings you posted are way more precise than the tests I've seen.

How did you measure your ammonia and nitrite levels? I'm curious because the readings you posted are way more precise than the tests I've seen.

If its between two colors i choose a number in the middle, i don’t know how i got .28? Probably meant .25. Just the API master kit

Back
Top Bottom