Ceramic rings, are they really all that different?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to the lfs last week to get another box of ceramic rings. It was a new place so of course they didn't have the same ones that I currently have. Does it really make a difference in the brand that you buy? The guy behind the counter said that I should only use the ceramic rings that work for my filter. But, I don't think Cascade sells Ceramic rings. If they are going into a bio-bag, what's the big deal? So now we have a box of them that are about 1/2 inch cylinders. Then another box that is about 1/4 inch cylinders with a line through it so you look at it from the side and it looks like one of those warning signs (for example if a place is non smoking it has a cigarette in a circle with a line through it.). Should we stick to one brand or does it make a difference?

I was under the impression that it doesn't matter. They are going in bio-bags since we have a mixture of stuff in the basket (crushed coral, activated carbon, and the rings). The only reason why we have the activated carbon is because we just took meds out of the tank last week and just haven't gotten around to take it out yet. BTW- We have Cascade 1000 and 1200 Canisters.

Fishy - Does it fit into the media basket? That is all that matters. I have two different types in mine (the original fluval's and AquaClear's). Reason: LFS wants excessive amounts of cash for Fluval's rings. AquaClear's (which I've been using forever) fits into the basket for a much lower price.

I've found ceramic rings to be pretty expensive. For a box that will fit into one filter costs $30. Does that seem excessive? All the lfs(plural) around here sell it for about the same price.

I'm not surprised since the same markup is present in their prices for the filters as well.

You could order online* (the best method) almost half the price. Also, you're really just interested in providing more surface area for your precious little ones, right? One box in addition to the one you already have is great!

*Take a look at BigAlsonline and some of AA sponsors...Great prices!

that sounds about right. its around 35 here in canada so with exchange and such that not bad. all the cermaic rings are pretty much the same. If they are sold loose then really you can put them in a bag or in a tray and will do the same thing. Don't worry if you can't find "brand specific".

I'm surprised that the lfs didn't tell you the same even just to "get the sale" as most stores would do. Anyway it makes no difference. and if I'm wrong someone will chime in and let us know for sure...

We have the ceramic rings in one canister, not the other. I went to the lfs to buy enough to put it in the other canister and couldn't find the same brand. I am just basically going to be using it for more surface area like you said JC.

We are also going to be adding another bag of crushed coral. We only have it in the 1000 and the pH is stable at 7.6 but we'd like it up around 7.8 so I'm hoping to have this all done this weekend.

AUGH. So much to do, not enough time.

Back
Top Bottom