Chain Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Remo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone have any info on these fish?

I've heard some people say that they grow 6 inches long. Others have said 2 and a half inches. Also, I heard that they'll eat snail eggs and smaller snails. Is this true?

I'm pretty new with fish as pets so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Remo....

I've kept the Chain Loaches, also called Dwarf Loaches (Botia sidthimunki) in the past. I've seen pictures of this fish reaching a length of about 4 inches but the more usual size in the aquarium is about 2 1/2 inches. These loaches prefer to be in groups and are considered by many to be the most 'playful' of the loaches. They are generally peaceful with other fish and will do a pretty good job of munching on snails. They have been VERY hard to get lately. You're lucky to have found them!

Almost all loaches love snails. My decimate any number of snails in absolutely no time. My acaras love snails too. I had a misfortune to place Large Mystery Snail to my tank and my loaches and acaras guarded poor thing for 2 days to come out. I had to take it to another tank. Loaches are always fun!

Thanks for the info guys. :D

Fruitbat - there's a store in my area that has a lot of them. I asked at the store that I usually buy at and they said that they couldn't get them. I'll get a small group tomorrow. Seem expensive for the size of them though.

captainGregor - I've never heard of acaras. I'll have to check those out.

Thanks again, both of you.

Lucky guy, Remo....they are hard to get nowadays but winter/spring is generally the best time to find loaches in the lfs. They are expensive because they're so difficult to find. For a long time, Botia sidthimunki was considered to be extinct in the wild but a population was found in a small river. B. sidthimunki is now status CR A1c on the IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources) list, which means it is in danger of extinction, especially because loaches are rarely captive bred.

Anyway...consider yourself fortunate to have found them. Take good care of them!

Oh....and Acaras are South American cichlids which include the Green Terror.

Remo
Acaras are beautifully colored. They tend to grow to 6-7 inches and you do need a pair, but they are very peaceful and do not trouble anyone. See my gallery for pics. They are not afraid of me, especially female and she eats from my hand. THey are great addition to the tank but of course every other inhabitant has to match too.

Back
Top Bottom