changing filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
About how long should I have a replacement filter pad sitting in the back of my HOB filter (along side the existing pad) before its built up enough BB to replace the original?

Also, for medicating purposes, I want to replace the carbon/mesh filter pad in my QT tank's Aqueon Quietflow 10, but there isnt a lot of space back there. Any suggestions? Is the fabric store pillow stuffing still an option even though theres pretty much only space for a pre-cut pad? I currently have 4-6 bio-rings in what little space there is, but Im not convinced thats enough to do anything so taking them out isnt unreasonable. :thanks:

I would imagine just a few days would be sufficient. Bacteria multiply pretty rapidly.
I would leave it at least a week. Although it will multiply, a few days will not give it all the time too have the necessary ammount and maintain the bio-load.

I would leave it at least a week. Although it will multiply, a few days will not give it all the time too have the necessary ammount and maintain the bio-load.

Yeah you certainly couldn't hurt by going longer. I don't have that issue since I have 3 filters between 2 HOBs. I just swap one at a time each month. So on change day I have a 2 month, 1 month, and brand new filter in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom