Cheap pH change (vinegar/baking soda)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt73

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just finished installing my concrete 3D background a few days ago. After adding water, I checked the pH and it was close to 9. The cement is caustic so I added vinegar to the water (acetic acid). This slowly raised the pH to a little below 7. Then to get it back up, I added a little baking soda and presto, a pH of 7.4.

Has anyone tried using vinegar or baking soda to change the pH? Two cheap products available anywhere

Oops, I ment that adding vinegar lowered the pH. :oops:

Anyway, I was experimenting without fish in the tank. If you do this, I would use very little amounts and proceed cautiously.

I would not really recomend altering your pH with anything but water changes. Basically, you can't alter your pH too far from your tapwater without constantly monitoring and adding chemicals, which is not good for you or your fish. Your best bet would be to let your background soak, and change out the water every few days until it no longer raises to pH.

I use a 1 teaspoon of baking soda after water changes to raise my kh. It does not seem to change the ph much in this 50 gal.

I use a little baking soda with each water change in my 110 gallon tank. My tap water is around 7.2, I keep the tank between 7.8 & 8. Since I do a water change once a week....I just add about 1/2 tsp once the new water is in and that does it every time (sometimes have to add a little more). Nice, easy, cheap.

Beaking Soda is well know to raise buffering capabbilites....I did not know it would tamper with your PH though...Interesting.

PK Tester said:
Beaking Soda is well know to raise buffering capabbilites....I did not know it would tamper with your PH though...Interesting.

Check out the ingredient of your PH UP (if it's the powder type and you have any around). It's probably "Sodium Bicarbonate"........which is baking soda. :D I have an old bottle of Wardley PH Up, on the label it says "reduces acidity * increases alkalinity"....and above that its has large text saying "SODIUM BICARBONATE". This little bottle was probably 10 times more expensive per gram than a box of baking soda.....just because it was sold at a pet store.
huh.gif

I am no chemist, but here is some other info on sodium bicarbonate as a "buffer": http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/chem.htm Reading it gave me a headache....... :p

I have used Baking Soda for brine shrimp hatching but havent used any in my tanks yet. My PH is 7.8-8.0 naturally.

carbonate hardness and pH are inter-related. If you increase carbonate hardness, you've raised alkalinity, which means the pH also rises.

Back
Top Bottom