Cheerry shrimp / Shrimp in general question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do they crawl out of the tank??

Do you need a lid?

any good articles on care for them?

no they dont crawl out of the tank and you dont need a lid, but they may get sucked into the filter.

They may crawl out of the tank. I've had ghost shrimp do that many times before but so far I haven't noticed any of my red cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp, snowball shrimp, nor my crystal red/black shrimp (thankfully) do that. The ghost shrimp were in a tank with a bunch of apistos though and I think they felt threatened. They were put in there as food. I'd imagine that if the other shrimp were in tanks with fish they may try to do the same.

Keep your posts on topic. If you can't keep personal attacks out of it, we'll help you along. If you feel the need to communicate to each other anything off topic, we have a lovely thing called pm. If you have a problem with another member, we have a wonderful group of mods and admin who would be willing to help clear up any issues. This thread was obviously posted for information, the bickering stops now. Don't post if you have nothing valid to offer the OP on the question at hand. Thank you.

I deleted the last three post as they did not benefit the thread. Please be civil or your right to post in this thread will be revoked. Sorry I didnt see you Cindy.

ok

I have had a couple shrimp before and none hhave ever crawled out of my tank. But i have had some crawfish that have crawled out of my tank and crawfish are alot like shrimp. I always take precautins though and have always made sure my tank was sealed so none of my fish will crawl/jump out. good luck

Crayfish are quite different from shrimp. For one, the dwarf shrimp the OP is speaking of get to a little over an inch long. Crayfish can get over 5" long. What does this mean? It means that shrimp have more predators, basically anything in the tank other than small mouthed or young fish. How many predators would a 5" crayfish have in the tank?

Crayfish are also predators by nature and they have larger front claws to kill fish. They are considered to be mildly aggressive and have little to fear. Nearly all shrimp are detritus feeders, scavengers, algae eaters, or a combination of all of those. They are considered to be timid for the most part, generally not coming out unless sufficient groups are present. Crayfish do fine all by themselves. So as you can easily see from these general comparisons, they are not that closely related. Feel free to correct me as I'm sure your experience far surpasses mine on this subject.

Crayfish are quite different from shrimp. For one, the dwarf shrimp the OP is speaking of get to a little over an inch long. Crayfish can get over 5" long. What does this mean? It means that shrimp have more predators, basically anything in the tank other than small mouthed or young fish. How many predators would a 5" crayfish have in the tank?

Crayfish are also predators by nature and they have larger front claws to kill fish. They are considered to be mildly aggressive and have little to fear. Nearly all shrimp are detritus feeders, scavengers, algae eaters, or a combination of all of those. They are considered to be timid for the most part, generally not coming out unless sufficient groups are present. Crayfish do fine all by themselves. So as you can easily see from these general comparisons, they are not that closely related.
Put cray fishh in a big tank with big fish and then put a shrimp in little tank with little fish then take a pic of the two where the tank is the same size(in the picture) and tell me the difference. yes you are right a bout the schooling thing. crawfish are scavengers too. and if a shrimp was 5" they would eat some fish too. the claws are mainly for defense.
Feel free to correct me as I'm sure your experience far surpasses mine on this subject.
dont start

Can we all just grow up? I'm locking this thread. I suggest you guys take some time away from the internet to cool off.

My apologies to the OP. I hope you got the info you were after.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom