Chipped aquarium???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey whats up every one.

I have a question...I got 100 gallon glass aquarium sitting in my garage and I want to sell it. This aquarium is in good condition but in the left side corner the bottom frame is chipped along with the glass. The glass isnt that badly chipped and does not leak when I fill the tank up about 10% just to cover the bottom and above the chipped area. The chipped area is about 1 inch along the side of the corner. Would this weaken the structure of the tank? Does any one know how much would it cost to replace that one side of the tank where it is chipped? or is there a way I can patch it up my self? any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

The best market would be a reptile owner who does not need to have a watertight aquarium. I would not want the risk of 100 gallons leaking over the lounge carpet.

fishweed said:
The best market would be a reptile owner who does not need to have a watertight aquarium. I would not want the risk of 100 gallons leaking over the lounge carpet.
That's a great idea. My vote goes for this suggestion! :)

I agree. There is a lot of pressure on the walls of the tank at that depth. I'l hate to come home to find 100 gallons of water on my wood floors.

Pep Boys sells windshield repair kits for stone chips and what not. I have used it for a BB gun shot to my windshield and it worked very well. You might want to give that a try.

I have a much larger chip in my 135g and I have had no leaks and no cracks so I would think that you should be ok may want to pick up some aquarium siliconeand fill in the blanks

Well I finally sold the aquarium for $200 to my cousin. He filled it up and it has NOT leaked so I guess that chipped corner is not a big deal. :)

Yeah, that chip may hold for 20 years... but it may also hold for only two weeks as well... There is alot of pressure on the bottom of a 100 gallon tank... :) Advise him to keep that tank someplace where 100 gallons of water damage won't be too big a problem; like the garage, or in the basement close to the drain... :) It will be very important to keep that tank as perfectly level as possible to reduce any further unnecessary stress to that chip... I look forward to your stories of the impending great flood... :)

Back
Top Bottom