cleanest fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkkkyle7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some fish produce a lot of waste, some produce very little waste..what fish produce a lot? which fish produce little waste?

Always wanted to know..haha :D

The big ones produce big waste. :D

The little ones produce big waste after the big ones eat them!:clown:

Naturally smaller fish produce less, such as tetras. Carnivors produce somewhat less because their diet is more efficient.
Grazers like plecos produce alot of waste, diet is less efficient.

Pl*cos are infamous for being very healthy 'poopers'. I had one for a while and I ended up re-homing him.

I'd say guppies are a dirty fish also, mine always have poop hanging off them. They aren't the best eaters either, they nibble on a bit and let it fall.

Tetras like neons and diamonds are VERY clean eaters. I hardly ever see one of my tetras waste even a particle of food.

I would say Labroides dimidiatus is the cleanest by far :clown: . Oh...Sorry it's a salty;)

Siamese algae eaters are very prolific waste producers if you have a tank with lots of algae. They produce appreciably less if there isn't much algae and they have to resort to flake foods more often.

In fact, I had taken my smallest SAE over to a friends neglected 10 gallon that was algae ridden (all manner of long hairlike growths covering the glass on the sides and back where he never cleaned the tank) and it came back to me 2 weeks later much bigger than the other SAE's in my tank (length & rotundness). My friend complained of the SAE being a "poop factory".

Back
Top Bottom